40 Years of Brass Patina In 60 Seconds Please!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Anyone had experience and success with accelerating the aging process (patina) of brass?

I've just converted a military cap badge to one with no regiment reference and that will adorn a new hat but in the process I have unavoidably lost some 40 years of grime!

My first thought was to try 'smoking' it care of an oil lamp but fear this will rub off at the first touch.

All suggestions welcome other than use of enamel paint!

Cheers

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Anyone had experience and success with accelerating the aging process (patina) of brass?

I've just converted a military cap badge to one with no regiment reference and that will adorn a new hat but in the process I have unavoidably lost some 40 years of grime!

My first thought was to try 'smoking' it care of an oil lamp but fear this will rub off at the first touch.

All suggestions welcome other than use of enamel paint!

Cheers
heat up the brass item, until it is quite hot (not warm, not melting) cool in mineral oil (it will go a darkish brown. clean with meths. buff the flat areas of the brass, then paint with vinegar, wash off after about one or two minutes
I did a couple of hundred brass light switches like this for a restoration project.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Many thanks Tadpole.:You_Rock_

I will give it a go. I should be OK with the heating as I had to burn off the damaged lacquer to achieve a uniform post filing finish and it didn't dissolve in front of me as would have been the case were it a soft metal re-strike!

What off-the-shelf brand of oil do you recommend?

Cheers

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The alternative is to use the patina that Stain glass folk use for tiffany work.

I'll sort some out for you if you like but my main bottles are at college at the moment so it'll be a couple weeks.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I believe Birchwood Casey makes something called brass black. I imagine a dilute solution of that should work well. I've used it and I noticed that how dark it gets in one application just depends on the brass itself. Which characteristics of the brass, I can't say.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I soak brass in vinegar or red/brown sauce to clean the metal, not age it. Wash in warm soapy water and it will darken quick enough.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Thanks for all your suggestions guys. As has just been said this site always comes good with info.:You_Rock_

I'll try and post a few before and after pics and of both badge and the custom-made leather hat band it will sit within.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE