25th,26th & 27th - anything going on?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
LOL I was going to post that, its my site. It is a good event, gets better every year. Dave Watson and Jason from Woodland Ways will be there so there are bushcraft interests. We also have longbow makers, amazing craftspeople they are too, chainsaw carvers, last year there were dug out canoe demonstrations but I dont know if that has come through for this year, plus lots of other crafts and skills on show.

Plus lots of big noisy machines which I`m sure they boys in here would not be interested in at all ;)

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I shall probably come along to that, its only up the road - I'm not too far from Rugby.

Weekend Warrior your in Norf Lahndun which isn't that far away - about 1 1/2 hrs, ish.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Thanks Guys. Yes, that looks very good. I really need a couple of nights under the stars to combat the urban fatigue (read: urge to throttle half of London), but I will bear this in mind.. :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
If you are CRB covered try this place: http://www.jlw.me.uk/index2.html. It's been a few years since I've been but it was nicely wooded and only a short stroll down the road.
Just noticed this in the fees section:

'Guides & Other Scout Groups - £1.75 per person, per night.

Non-Scout & Guide Groups - £3.00 per person, per night.

PLEASE NOTE: We can only accept bookings from registered groups/organisations who hold public liability insurance. We CANNOT accept any bookings from members of the general public.'

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Simple solution to that decorum. Create a Bushy Society or Club, and have everyone take out personal liabilty insurance........I've over-simplified it but in principle there should not be a lot to it, theoretically it could be based around a fee paying BCUK membership which also provides an umbrella insurance scheme for members.

Serves three purposes that I can immediately think of:

1. As members of an official organisation we can hire and use facilities with greater ease.
2. Provides members with bushy related insurance.
3. Adds kudos and respectability to the pursuit of bushy activities and makes things like knife and axe carrying easier if you can produce a bushy membership card.

Any thoughts??

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Simplest way I've found is to be a member of the Scouting Movement (or other youth organisation). If I were to be stopped whilst out and about when carrying things that might cause concern I'm simply training, trialing and researching in order to further my understanding so that I can pass on that knowledge with the hope of inspiring others.

For anyone short on free-time and not wanting/able to become too involved (it's not just 2 hours a week folks!!!) you can be a Section Assistant (doesn't require a uniform or too much training) by attaching yourself to a scout group or district and help out on occasions relevent to you - a lot of groups are hankering for people with bushcraft skills :D and there are funds available to subsidise the cost of relevent training courses :D :D .
This would mean that while you help kids (and adults) learn you are covered by a world-wide recognised organisation, you have CRB coverage (you have to be cleared and covered but you don't pay for it) and you are insured (most groups pay for adults on their books) and at least some of the courses that you'd like to do should become a bit cheaper.
The amount of wooded campsites which are availabe to you significantly increases as well :D because you can go off on your travels checking out sites that you'd like to take the scouts to; it's actually written into the blurb that leaders should check out sites prior to taking their charges there :D .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE