2.5 Metres of Waxed Cotton ... ideas

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I bought a roll end of barbour waxed cotton fabric from a local material shop last weekend - about 2.5 / 3 metres by 160cm.

So ... What do I make with it?!

Thinking of a poncho but would it be too hot under there?

Any other ideas?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
probably aye but only if you were moving about a lot in it and then probably no more than what other ponchos are made of.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I made a jacket with mine...........it's been pretty bombproof tbh. I lined it with fine wool rather than the usual cotton and it's made a huge difference to the chill factor when hanging around in it.

As a poncho it'll be heavy, but the wind won't blow it about as much as it does the nylon stuff. It'll be windproof, and spark proof for around the fire too.

I've still got 6m of the stuff, so I'm interested to hear what others suggest as well :)

cheers,
Toddy

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
What about a cape rather than a full-blown poncho? It will still keep most of the rain off but will be lighter and more air will circulate.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I read somewhere recently of an old doctor telling someone that keeping the rain off the head, shoulders and keeping the feet dry and you'll be more than ok over time..?

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
If you have the time you can make a nice tackle bag from it, I have been on the Hardys site and there bags are prity decent like the barbour ones of old before the James Dean fetish.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
My choice would probably be a jacket too but to my own design. Failing that, If it was 10 or 12 oz then I would make a rain hat or two (Aussi style) & a rain coat for my ageing hound. Bags tend to be heavy but I've always had a hankering for a set of saddle bags slung over my shoulder in stead of a day sack so they would be on the drawing board too. Waterproof outer mitts, gaiters, a pair of trousers, pouches,map cases etc, could also be on the list. Don't throw away any scraps either as folks are always looking for bits to repair their jackets & coats.
A poncho may be OK, Driza-bone make one but it's not the type of thing you could just sling in your rucky in case it rains, way too heavy & bulky. Probably too hot in summer but fine for the rest of the year & if you make it so it can open like a cape (buttoned or poppered front for example) then you could control the temperature.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE