€8 Bivi bag....is it too good to be true?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
I do know somebody who has bought one and I have seen it in the flesh as it were. The guy that bought it told me that while he rearely uses it becuse he prefers a hammock but that he slept out in it one night with a tarp over him and he woke up to find the whole area covered in snow. He was warm and dry. The time I saw this bivi bag was in a woods in the hills of Wicklow in at least -4 last year. He was sleeping in a hammock on this particular night. As far as I could see his sleeping bag was a Vango, he had a standard roll mat and had used the bivi bag as an extra layer. He slept very well and told us that he was not cold during the night and I have no reason not to believe him. To put this in perspective I was in a lightweight 2 man tent, lying on a thermarest, sleeping in a snugpak softie elite 3 sleeping bag, all expensive gear over here, and I woke up cold and had to use spare clothing to get through the night.

If you were planning on just using a bivi bag on its own without a tarp and a mat of some sort then it would make sense to spend a bit of money on trying to get the best you can afford, but in all honesty this bag would be an ideal entry level bivi bag for anyone living in Ireland who may be using one for the first time and may find (as many do) that they would prefer the comfort of a tent or hammock depending on conditions. In the past I have used the old olive (small) basha as a bivi bag/sleeping bag cover and breathability was not an issue because it was only snapped together but it did keep the wind off. Most people on here use a tarp over them so the bivi bag really only needs to be windproof if we were to be honest. The tarp can be set up to keep all rain out.

I am that man. All of the above is true. I have used it with a kip mat under and tarp over and woken up with the place covered in snow. I woke up saw the snow and then went back to sleep . I then slept until the smell of bacon woke me. I have used it in my hammock as an extra layer and it has helped keep me warm. I have never used it on its own to sleep out ( I always use a tarp).
I would suggest that some times its worth taking a chance.( Frost moras for £8.50 can't be any good too cheap)
If you need a bivy bag thats Gauranteed 100% breathable and waterproof then buy one that is. If you need one to try out then this maybe the one.
The guy that is selling these is part of the fourm for the Irish Army http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/ there is a link to the store from there I think that if he was selling junk he would be told quick enough. I am happy with my buy it will probably never get used as a stand alone sleeping system.
Why not drop the guy who is selling them a line to request further information for the bivy bag as in what type of gaurantee is offered .
Best of luck down with IPNA ,Andrew.
Hope this may help,
Tony

Tony

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I would consider contacting them, and asking them whether they have any military significance etc....

I sent them an email last thursday and got a reply.

I sent

Hi There, I am interested in the MVP bivi bag you have. Can you confirm to
me that this bivi bag is waterproof and breathable. Also is it issued to
any army currently or in the past.

Regards

Andrew

The reply was

Andrew,

It is both waterproof & breathable, as advertised, and was manufactured for
several Baltic forces.

Regards,

Fiachra
IMO Store

I think that Lore has found a genuine bargain and if you are in the market for a bivi bag it would be worth a punt.

I have no connection to the seller.

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
my bivi bag is ex british army and is goretex and its always kept me gry its also stamped north face so made by a good company
i also have some us waterproofs now i dont know if the same applys to bivi bags but the older waterproofs from the us werent stamped with goretex name and they leaked but ive got some resent stuff from them which is stamped goretex and so is the seams there stamped goreseam so take a closer look it could be very old stock or a copy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'll measure it the weekend Dan, I'm in Sennybridge. These were made for an east european army I think.

I believe the more modern UK kit is not Gortex but 'Breathtex'

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
So, Rik, did you find some time to do the measuring?
Would also be interested in the weight of the bag, if possible :)

Thanks in advance!
Lasse

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Well I emailed them again asking for size and weight and said please and thank you but no reply again.Makes you wonder what happens if you send off all your credit card details with an order ? and it's not too hard to put size and weight in with the add.Don't think I'll bother !

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
I recently bought one of the bags on the back of this thread but haven't had chance to use it. It's pretty robust but as yet I don't know how breathable. There was a problem with my initial order but the shop was quite helpful about it and responded to emails etc.

I can measure it if people are still interested.

Mark

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I got round to measureing up this bag today.

Bag itself is 84" PLUS 16" for the hood so total length of 100"

Width at top 34"
Width at bottom 25"

Overall quality is very good, certainly on a par with a brit bivvy bag.

The main seam runs the centre of the bag, so ideal for a zip mod I would think

Made by Skalmantas

http://www.alibaba.com/company/0.html?memberid=gedukas

Excellent purchase IMHO

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got round to measureing up this bag today.

Bag itself is 84" PLUS 16" for the hood so total length of 100"

Width at top 34"
Width at bottom 25"

Overall quality is very good, certainly on a par with a brit bivvy bag.

The main seam runs the centre of the bag, so ideal for a zip mod I would think

Made by Skalmantas

http://www.alibaba.com/company/0.html?memberid=gedukas

Excellent purchase IMHO

Have you had it out in the rain yet Richard ? I 'd be interested to hear how they stand up.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Have you had it out in the rain yet Richard ? I 'd be interested to hear how they stand up.

Hi Rich

I don't sleep in the rain to be honest, don't use a tarp to sleep under I use a tent. I got the bag to extend the time I could use a two or three season bag to be honest.

I'll give it a soak in the bath or something but the material seems good quality.

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
i have had one of thease bags for a couple of years i have used it on a trip around europe with my mates . and i can vouch for how good they are i used it to protect my down sleeping bag. one night we bivied up on the czech german border (we were heading for praha. Prague) the guys did not set the taps up right so i woke up in the morning floating on my very own lake nice and toastie
i was dry every thing in the bag was dry i just wish id managed to get my bike jacket in the bag as well

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Used in a tent this weekend with a two season back, there was no moisture in the bag in the morning, it had 'breathed' well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE