Recent content by Toddy

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
  1. Toddy

    The most basic bread recipe.

    To quickly cool a pot; fill the sink with cold water, it needs to be deep enough that the pot 'just' floats. The pot will cool quickly from the outside in. Works very well to save a pot of hot oil from going overcooked, too.
  2. Toddy

    Seaweed, how much is too much ?

    @demented dale Thank you :D
  3. Toddy

    Limited Canned Goods.

    A decent pressure cooker costs under fifty pounds just now, less if you buy second hand. If I make too much soup, I just can a couple of jars, same with curry, chilli, stew, mushrooms, beans....it's just quickly storing home made food in reasonable sized proportions. I don't can meat, though I...
  4. Toddy

    Limited Canned Goods.

    I just have an everyday prestige hi-top pressure cooker. It works fine :) It does three 500ml jars at a time, or six 300ml ones. I can do the 900ml jars in it, but that's a lot. Those smaller sizes work for meals. They're not huge, they're a decent portion. I'm feeding a family of three adults...
  5. Toddy

    Limited Canned Goods.

    It's part of my 'just in case' stash, but we use it regularly, so they keep being refreshed. I have six cans of it in the pantry.
  6. Toddy

    Limited Canned Goods.

    That mango pulp is elixir :) It's is lovely stuff. Makes a brilliant sorbet too.
  7. Toddy

    Seaweed, how much is too much ?

    Cheers @Broch I wonder if we can find Korean or Japanese research on it ? I'm a little concerned because for years I've been telling folks it's all edible, and while it is, just how much has never been a factor. I have to be really careful with the seaweeds, much though I love them, because...
  8. Toddy

    Seaweed, how much is too much ?

    I confess that I have always loved salty green stuff. Samphire is a delight, brassicas are dinner, nettles are good food, so is a plethora of the weeds. I am a little fat lady but my diet's rich in good stuff. I have become addicted to the Itsu seaweed thins. Happily have a pack a day ....look...
  9. Toddy

    The most basic bread recipe.

    It's considered stable and lasts for years if kept in a well sealed container. Same with tartaric acid. Baking powder does lose it's rise quickly though, but again a good well sealed container helps a lot. Having said that I keep a pack of bicarb under the sink; it's useful for removing smells...
  10. Toddy

    The most basic bread recipe.

    Soda bread is probably the quickest and easiest one to make. Under an hour and it's ready to eat. Any flour, a little salt, a little oil or fat if you have some, and some baking powder. If you use bicarbonate of soda (more stable long term than the BP mix then you need an acid of some kind to...
  11. Toddy

    A question for gardeners in Devon

    I hope British Red sees this thread, his posts are full of practical, and practiced, good husbandry that feeds him, his wife, and has enough to gift and barter too.
  12. Toddy

    A question for gardeners in Devon

    You cannot constantly take out without putting anything in. @HorseGuy, I think you're fortunate in that you have horse manure/bedding to add, but constant cropping removes more than the fertilisers, it removes minerals too, and it changes the soil structure. Some sites, riverine ones with...
  13. Toddy

    ??? for specs wearers.

    I've been wearing titanium flexible leg reading glasses. Cost me all of £3.79 on eBay.....same frame, without lenses was quoted at £175 in Specsavers three weeks ago. I didn't buy them.
  14. Toddy

    Which Avatar

    You know you can buy button blanks and transfer that design onto them too ? :cool:
  15. Toddy

    Which Avatar

    Just seen the final decision :) I think it suits you fine :D