Recent content by Springchicken

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
  1. S

    G10 or Micarta?

    Greater familiarity made me cast my vote for canvas micarta: I have a couple of knives with handles made of it that are lovely to use. That said, I also have a G10 handled knife and I do like the extra bit of 'heft' in it. It makes the blade feel lighter and more manoeuvrable some how. So, in...
  2. S

    10 cut pliers

    That's witchcraft! I cannot see how it works at all - but it obviously does.
  3. S

    Nessmuk - George Washington Sears YouTube series.

    I agree. I've never been comfortable with double bit axes - there is too much of a 'weapon' feel to them. Gransfors make a Hunters axe; I'm sure I'd be much happier - and safer - with that!
  4. S

    New Morakniv Morkret

    I don't think that I'll be splashing the cash on Mora's new offering. It's too long, too thick and the sort of shape that would've appealed in my (distant) youth but not now. That said, I'll be interested to read any reviews of it, once the purchaser(s) has spent a bit of time with it.
  5. S

    Nessmuk - George Washington Sears YouTube series.

    I watched the posted video and yes, it was moderately interesting, even if it covered material written about and discussed pretty extensively before. I would really like to see these Nessmuk necessities in use, doing the jobs for which they were originally intended, perhaps even with some...
  6. S

    Autumn in the air

    My yardstick for the start of autumn is when the fruit on my Ashmead's Kernel tree starts to ripen. The fruit is there and might swell a little after the widdle of rain we've had but they are not ripe - yet. To be honest, I am delighted that summer is drawing to its dry, dusty and over hot end...
  7. S

    Old OS Maps? To keep or not to keep?

    Keep them! I have kept all the O.S. maps that I bought and that weren't used to destruction. They are a record of the places that have piqued your interest over time, as well as being a record of how things have changed. On this last, I have a map of the Peak District from the 1980s; on it is...
  8. S

    Alone TV Show - New Nessmuk trio?

    A vape without refills? A 'phone without a charger? A credit card with a dangerously high limit? Yes, "times have changed"...!
  9. S

    Alone TV Show - New Nessmuk trio?

    Perhaps. But it does depend on where in the world you are. For the tropics or rain forest, I doubt that an axe would tick the box; if one was deep in a deciduous or boreal forest, a good number of the tools on a multitool might be utterly redundant. However, for a stay in the woods in the U.K...
  10. S

    The perfect "Two Knife" bushcraft set

    What did your Kephart look like?
  11. S

    The perfect "Two Knife" bushcraft set

    I agree wholeheartedly. It's the main reason for carrying a cutting tool most, if not all of the time. There will be occasions when you actually  know you won't utilise it but, even so, it's good to know it's there. Perhaps it's a residual thing from Scouts and being prepared...
  12. S

    The perfect "Two Knife" bushcraft set

    I think that a knife is one of those things that isn't essential for 'bushcraft', however you define it. Whenever I go to the woods, which is pretty much daily, I take mine with me. Somehow, it is like having a reassuring friend with me. For the vast majority of the time, it remains sheathed on...
  13. S

    The perfect "Two Knife" bushcraft set

    Just two, eh? That's almost harder than choosing one! Still, if pushed these would be my go-to two: A Ben Orford Woodlander for the heavier tasks and the Victorinox (I can't remember which model!) for food prep. and the modest range of handy tools that comes with it.
  14. S

    New Mora Farnas

    Is this another in their range of full-tang cutting tools? I have one of the models in their first tranche, called 'Wit'. It is not particularly well finished at the handle end but the blade does what it should - much like any, more modest Mora. I'd imagine that this new iteration is much the...
  15. S

    WHAT DID YOU MAKE TODAY?

    I made a kitchen spoon for my daughter. The wood is cherry.