wood wax on leather goods?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
I'm making a leather sheath for one of my knives and am wondering if i can use a pot of Colron refined beeswax, suitable for wood, on this leather which is ready to be stitched and then burnished... the only other application was the alcohol based dark brown dye...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I expect the wax to be compatible. Get the temperature up. Friction is your friend.
Waxes all melt approx 60C/140F and the BW will bind into the leather a little better.

We've got a leather BW treatment here called "Bee-Seal" which does a fair job on boots.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
I expect the wax to be compatible. Get the temperature up. Friction is your friend.
Waxes all melt approx 60C/140F and the BW will bind into the leather a little better.

We've got a leather BW treatment here called "Bee-Seal" which does a fair job on boots.

Trying to save the pennies so don't want to buy a new product when i can use something else, unless i have to...
the BW cream i have for wood is very loose, not like the stiff beeswax in a tin i've seen... having second thoughts about applying it to my sheath now :eek: thought the cream would look more waxy, less creamy... do *you* think i could apply this wood cream? or do you think it would be better to get a hold of something thicker?

i was thinking of using a hairdryer to warm the leather as i apply the wax cream and work it in... i reckon this cream would disappear into the leather without much assistance from me, but i don't know if thats a good thing :confused2: ie is it better i get a thicker wax that would benefit from a hairdryer applying heat?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think you're better off with a treatment that is absorbed into the leather.
That way, there's little chance of it ever being rubbed off in contact with other surfaces.
Can't imagine that opposing an additional "cover-coat" of wax, should the desire/need arise.

Reactions: boubindica

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
I think you're better off with a treatment that is absorbed into the leather.
That way, there's little chance of it ever being rubbed off in contact with other surfaces.
Can't imagine that opposing an additional "cover-coat" of wax, should the desire/need arise.
I tried the wood wax, and didn't like it much so used natural beeswax and a hair drier... if I manage to post a pic, this is my finished sheath... quite proud of it, given its my first attempt... only by doing it have a learned the mistakes I won't be repeating on my next project...

2018-04-26 11.22.33.jpg

2018-04-26 11.22.33.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE