two knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hi all.

These are two knives I made up last November, but never got around to taking pics.

One has seen a far bit of use and the otehr has been a desk jockey that I may eventually shift or give to a friend (although SWAMBO has been eyeing it up for a while!:puppy_dog)

anyway, i took the oppurtunity of the snow the other day to get some semi-"artsy" pics.

both karasundo blades, one 10cm carbon, the other 7.5 cm carbon. One Handle is spalted rowan and buffallo horn with white and green vulacanized fiber spacers and a nickle bolster, and the other is scandinavian curly birch and reindeer antler, with reindeer leather, red-dyed vegtan leather, nickel and white vulcanised fiber spacers.

Pics of sheaths to follow if there's any interest.

Hope you like,
DSCF0776.jpgDSCF0778.jpgDSCF0777.jpgDSCF0779.jpgDSCF0780.jpg
ATB,
Stephen

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
They look great! How do you find the Karesuando carbon blades? I used to own a Karesuando Wolf in 12C27 but I generally prefer carbon steel. Always fancied having a go at making something of one of their carbon blades given they're so cheap but doubt I could do as good a job as you. Pictures of the sheaths would be much appreciated, thanks.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those are very nice indeed; Rowan is a very undervalued/underused wood, I think it makes great tool handles. I'd also like to see the sheaths :)

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Those are very nice indeed; Rowan is a very undervalued/underused wood, I think it makes great tool handles. I'd also like to see the sheaths :)
Yeh i was lucky enough to be given a few bits of properly seasoned rowan, both spalted and unspalted
I'll try to get pics of the sheaths tommorow.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
They look great! How do you find the Karesuando carbon blades? I used to own a Karesuando Wolf in 12C27 but I generally prefer carbon steel. Always fancied having a go at making something of one of their carbon blades given they're so cheap but doubt I could do as good a job as you. Pictures of the sheaths would be much appreciated, thanks.

I have made several knives using the carbon and stainless in various lenths and find them to be great little blades. these wood be my go-to blades the way most people feel about the mora clipper. as youve mentioned there pretty cheap, and if you source the handle materials yourself the only cost is the blade and mabye a metal bolster. I've abused the hell out of some of these, batoning through knotty wood, and never have had a blade break on me. (touches wood)

Last edited:

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
These are the sheaths, both danglers one left one right. both wet forme, need to get more practice to get neater welts. leaf design stiched with artificail sinew and left with a small drainage hole, and the other stiched with brown nylon braded waxedthread. DSCF0786.jpgDSCF0789.jpgDSCF0788.jpgDSCF0787.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Ste

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE