The day I've been dreading....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
This afternoon, Mrs Stringmaker and I took our wonderful tabby cat on his final journey:

NEpcBuBl.jpg

We had known for about a year that he was on borrowed time, but you are never prepared for the final moments. Luckily I was at home, so we could both do our final task for him and his distress was as brief as possible.

I am not ashamed to say that we are both distressed ourselves; if nothing else I know that many of you will understand all too well what it is to love an animal and how much it hurts to say goodbye.

:(

murpharoo

Jun 1, 2012
Worcestershire
Had to say goodbye to one of my own special friends recently so I feel your pain :-(
Now I need to decide where to scatter his ashes. Not easy saying goodbye.....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Never easy, and it always hurts :sigh: Though I believe that to have the courage and compassion to end things painlessly is a very great kindness.
I'm sorry for your loss; I still miss my furry companions, and I too buried them in the garden where they used to curl up and snooze under the roses and honeysuckle.

M

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Very sorry to hear of your loss, I do know what you are feeling like. We have always had dogs, but I like Cats too.
We had to take our last dog a Border Collie to the vet for the last time Two years past in August, and we had had her
for14 years, and she was 7 weeks old when we got her. I still miss her every day. People all say that we should replace
her, but we would never get another like her, I have had dogs all of my life, and she was the best one ever. We could read
each other's minds, and I could get her to do various things, without opening my mouth. Anyway I am now of an age that
another one, may well outlive me. People who do not have animals as pets, just do not know the bonding that happens
over the years. Just look back on the happy times you had with your friend, and be grateful that you were able to see
him or her off , rather than him getting lost or run over.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It's always hard to try and think of what to say in threads like this but I can truthfully say I'm really sorry for you and your wife's loss.

It's never easy loosing one of your loved ones but as Mary said being able to let them go peacefully and painlessly is the last gift of love you can give them.

Disruptive Pattern

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
East Coast
Know what your going through, hang in there, it does get easier. Never be ashamed to show your feelings, you've just lost an important family member.

All the best mate.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
He looks just like our "borrowed" cat Ruskin who was run over a couple of years ago. We had decided when we moved on to a main road not to have a pet cat as the road is a fast one but almost as soon as we moved in a cat who was barely more than a kitten appeared at our back door and promptly adopted us. Sadly he only lasted two years before the road got him. Our kids still talk about him and wish he had not moved away with his family (they don't know the real story). You have my sympathies the little pests have a way of worming their way into your hearts (and homes).

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I did exactly the same with my cat three weeks ago. Stuck up a picture on the internet with a few words, and was going to do the same here too, and then found I was pouring with tears. Right thing to do when the time comes. I only wish someone would do the same for me in due course.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, its awful news losing a pet. My Condolences. Its small consolation, but you can look back and know you did your best for him. Thats all you can do in the end.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks again folks.

I had kind of rehearsed how things would be if it got to the point where we had to decide to let him go. It was actually quite serene; he just looked like he was still awake (his eyes stayed open) but without the awful rasping breathing.

The little things hurt this morning; only one bowl in the kitchen (we have another cat), no basket in the hall by the heater and not having to step over him on the front door mat as I left for work.

Anyway, we did the right thing by him in the end and I am so glad that I was able to say goodbye.

:grouphug:

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Sorry to hear that . He is still with you , in your hearts.

Never really trusted folks that don't like animals, cats are super, they own you on their terms, as such anyone having a cat is honoured.

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE