or for Swap: Stainless Steel Fireboxes/Barbecues

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I'm pretty open to be honest. As long as the item(s) is approximately worth the same as the stove, I'll certainly consider it.

Of course, I'm happy with money too ;)

Last edited:

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Some people have suggested unbending the tabs and drilling them for pins so it could be disassembled.

In theory it would work, although you'd have to make it a very tight fitting. The tabs are on the bottom of the short sides and hold the whole structure together. The long sides come out by sliding, so as long as the tabs remain in tightly the stove cannot come apart.

I suppose you could also unbend them each time you disassembled it, although metal fatigue would mean the tabs would eventually snap off.

Bending permanently seemed the best way to ensure the tabs do not come out, but I'm certainly open to the idea that it is not the only way to achieve this.

Obviously I cannot guarantee the stove if people want to mod it though. As I sell them I know 100% that they work.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Some people have suggested unbending the tabs and drilling them for pins so it could be disassembled.

In theory it would work, although you'd have to make it a very tight fitting. The tabs are on the bottom of the short sides and hold the whole structure together. The long sides come out by sliding, so as long as the tabs remain in tightly the stove cannot come apart.

I suppose you could also unbend them each time you disassembled it, although metal fatigue would mean the tabs would eventually snap off.

Bending permanently seemed the best way to ensure the tabs do not come out, but I'm certainly open to the idea that it is not the only way to achieve this.

Obviously I cannot guarantee the stove if people want to mod it though. As I sell them I know 100% that they work.

Great looking firebox goodjob

Any chance of a piccy of the bent tabs at the bottom and maybe one dismantled? There must be a way to lock it in place using slots and tongues

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Attached is a photo of the base of my own personal stove. I have been using it for several years, and the base has begun to warp somewhat from many very hot fires ;) After I took the pic I pounded on it with a masonry hammer for a while and that took the warping right out. They are pretty tough :D

The locking tabs are still holding it very solidly together - I imagine I'll get a few more decades out of it yet.

When the stove is the right way up, the long faces slide in horizontally, and the short faces interlink with them as they drop in vertically. If the short faces cannot come out, the stove cannot come apart.

DSCF6434.jpg

I also attach a photo of me sliding in the final short face before the bottom tabs have been bent. Note that the stove in this picture does not have the bent pot rests that the stove now features.

Assembly4.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not sure how to explain it but here goes ..

wookfirebox2.jpg

Cut a half slot at the red line on your base sheet, cut half slots on your long sides, yellow lines. They should marry up when you slide the base onto each of the long sides. Still keep your locking short side and long side arrangement at the top of the stove, but at the bottom cut another two slits (green lines) and then poke a tongue through (blue bit) which would be on your short sides.

Rubbish explanation sorry

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I've spent long nights thinking about how I would improve the design Shewie - I think I get what you're angling at. Actually I think at least partly you are describing how the long face currently locks in.

Although for the moment what I have is a stack of already cut stove faces which cannot be easily changed. To keep costs down I ordered enough material for 50 of them pre-cut using the laser. I've sold a few since then, but it is still this original batch of stoves I am working my way through.

My prototypes were hand cut from sheet metal using a dremel - it took a loooooong time ;)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My prototypes were hand cut from sheet metal using a dremel - it took a loooooong time ;)

Been there done that :) The mrs bought me a 50x50 sheet of sheet of stainless from the metal supermarket ages ago but the Dremel didn't quite cut the mustard.

Perhaps this is not the correct place to discuss Mods....

Perhaps so, I just commented as folk were asking about a flat pack option, a little bit of R&D or brainstorming if you like?

I'll happily remove my posts and tidy up though Wook, just say the word :)

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Why would I object to free bumps for my advertisment? :lmao:

In any case, inventors love being given the opportunity to sing their creation's praise. I'm also my stove's harshest critic and am aware the lack of a flat-pack feature is its one big failing. It is something it was originally intended to incorporate which you can kind of see in the design. That didn't work out for reasons too complicated to go into right now.

As I said, I'm limited in my ability to implement any changes right now, although I'll certainly file them in the "maybe" drawer in the event I ever do another production run. So thank you for the input.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Why would I object to free bumps for my advertisment? :lmao:

In any case, inventors love being given the opportunity to sing their creation's praise.

However as I said, I'm limited in my ability to implement any changes right now, although I'll certainly file them in the "maybe" drawer in the event I ever do another production run. So thank you for the input.

Good man, good luck with the sales

Have a last bump on me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE