Jetboil PCS

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
JETBOIL PCS(Personal Cooking System)
I've been using one for a couple of years, first borrowed, I bought my own from a canooing shop at the end of 2009.

The PCS comes in a tight blister packed plastic case with a nice, colourful card insert, my only problem with it being that in English on the insert is the offer of free stuff from the jetboil range when you register your new stove, unfortunatly when I logged on for my prize I found out this only aplies if you live in the continental USA, oh well.

The stove itself is nice and compact, with the burner and a 100g EN417 gas cart fitting inside the pan, which also doubles as a cup. Personally I use a bigger 200g cartridge, as the wider base gives the whole thing more stability. You can get a stabiliser that fits onto a 100g cartridge, but it just seems like spending money for the sake of it.

The stove, when all fitted together stands about 18" high, with the pan fitting onto the stove with a bayonet type fitting, and the stove screwing onto the gas cartridge.

The boil time of a Ltr of water is about 90seconds, with this only raising slightly if the water is snow, I've found that this is just about right to put all the ingrediants of your brew in your mug before its boiled.

I wouldnt recomend cooking anything more complex than boil in the bag or de-hydrated rations in it as the tall, narrow pan is a pain in the bum to clean out.

Although its possible to use the pan on a different stove, or even an open fire I strongly recomend taking the neopreme cosy off the pan first.

As usual on most modern stoves it comes with piezo ignition, but this is more hassle than its worth, and slowly the probe wears down. A new probe is available, but is it worth it? I dont know, a gas lighter is just as useful.

In summary, its a cracking bit of kit, well worth 50 quid of anyones money, 4 out of 5 stars.

The Jetboil PCS is made by Jetboil, Inc.
540 North Commercial St
Manchester, NH 03101
Tel: (888) 611-9905
Fax: (603) 518-1619
customerservice@jetboil.com
www.jetboil.com

I've found they are available from outside, and a few smaller outdoors shops.

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
they are not £50 any more!!!
however i got one yesterday, the newer flash with a subscription to trail magazine!!! £49.99 for the year,, bargain

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Been usin one o these my self on & off for a few years. Tidy piece of kit for a swift brew or if you need to boil filtered water up quickly.
I use mine with the pan stand for frying with etc, and the coffee press is great for makin nettle or pine tea.

Alas it is poor in cold weather or at altitude due to not bein able to safely angle the cartridge.
Works great with the *hobo* stove though ;-)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The boil time of a Ltr of water is about 90seconds, with this only raising slightly if the water is snow, I've found that this is just about right to put all the ingrediants of your brew in your mug before its boiled.

Excellent bits of kit, really just a kettle though, but for fast boiling water, they are superb. I'd contest your boil time though, 90 seconds for a litre is a lot faster than mine.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
@Martyn, To be fair, that was timed in a flat at sea level with tap water.

I think the melt & brewtime was just under 2 mins, but it was at the end of last year, so cant swear to it exactly.

@backwoodsman, I was under the impression that the light weight model and the flash brought the price of the "Basic" model down, I myself paid something like £46+ postage, but with a damaged box. google and ebay really are worth a look for new kit.

I've not used the pan stand or frying pan, or the GCS pan as I only use mine when I'm trying for light and fast, I still take my trangia on longer term events.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
@Martyn, To be fair, that was timed in a flat at sea level with tap water.

I think the melt & brewtime was just under 2 mins, but it was at the end of last year, so cant swear to it exactly.
Are you sure you dont mean half a litre? The jetboil mug doesnt hold a litre.

Mine will bring half a litre to a bouncing boil in 3 minutes.

Last edited:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Because I am a sad git, I just fired up my Sol indoors with tap water and boiled 600ml at about 200ft above sea level in 2 mins and 5 seconds.

I'm sure that a "stovie" will now blather on that I used the wrong gas cartridge or it would have been faster, slower, shouldn't be used indoors cos I might have gassed the budgie, that I didn't measure the temp of the water, that it might be hard water, that a paraffin stove running on napalm from Lidl or a Honey Stove with a lump of Russian plutonium in a trangia knock-off like the one he got off an Iranian seller on ebay is cheaper / better / classier / or more eccentric, but I don't give a hoot as I love my Jetboil too, so there. :p

Last edited:

MandaPanda

Jul 24, 2011
Sussex
For a quick brew - I love it!
Out of backpack to hot cup of tea / soup / dehydrated rat pack in the hand - in 3 to 4 minutes.
For convenience (at our usual British temperatures and altitudes that I dwell at) I'm sure it can't be beaten.
However if you want to cook something other than by boiling - use something else! :)

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Because I am a sad git, I just fired up my Sol indoors with tap water and boiled 600ml at about 200ft above sea level in 2 mins and 5 seconds.

I'm sure that a "stovie" will now blather on that I used the wrong gas cartridge or it would have been faster, slower, shouldn't be used indoors cos I might have gassed the budgie, that I didn't measure the temp of the water, that it might be hard water, that a paraffin stove running on napalm from Lidl or a Honey Stove with a lump of Russian plutonium in a trangia knock-off like the one he got off an Iranian seller on ebay is cheaper / better / classier / or more eccentric, but I don't give a hoot as I love my Jetboil too, so there. :p

Could've been heavy water. Did you fill your waterbottle in Telemark by any chance?

:p

Recently got a Jetboil via this forum. Gave it a first and second 'backyard' test about speed and fuel usage. This weekend for some field-testing during a canoe trip in De Biesbosch. Will give a more complete field report later on.

Although the Primus might have the edge, seen a You tube vid somewhere too.... I thought that was only on speed... please correct me if I'm wrong.

A couple of things to think about imvho
Jetboil: one nice package, no loose parts to truly connect
Primus: cannister stabilizer does NOT fit in the pot, some loose parts (fumbling around, losing parts...) can't really recall the names when I played around with it in Sweden last Summer.

Not sure yet about the fuel efficiency... Stated 12 liters of boiling water on 100 gram of gas means (to me) 24 half liters so, with 3 'meals' per day: 8 days.....(I know optimum conditions set aside etc...)

Again not sure about that fact but I can not recall the Primus being as efficient.

But indeed nothing more then a water boiler (ok maybe a bit), unless you want to lug more then one pot around...... And it being gas.... well we're going to the 'wrong' season for that.... I'll just switch to my Omnifuel (and Trangia clone or diy Trangi-Jo...)

Have fun with your gear anyway, go out and use it...... whatever you got!

Grtz Johan

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Could've been heavy water. Did you fill your waterbottle in Telemark by any chance?

:p

LOL.
Mind you, Being on the South of the Isle of Wight, the extra hardness, calcium and being closer to the equator might have added to the weight and results. :eek:

Not easy is it?

You know, I've been using this bit of kit outdoors every day now for weeks, been delighted with it for a brew up, home made boil in the bag food and I have even cooked real food in it (heat it up to boil....leave half an hour in the insulated cover and lid, reheat to boil, repeat once or twice until cooked), but now I feel I really must stay indoors for the next month in my armchair and with my laptop make sure I have "The Cooker" in case there is another I might be missing.... ;)

Last edited:

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
I whisk up some eggs n cheese in a bag before hand and when out put into the jetboil Fast and easy n delicious out of the bag if you want.oh and waters ready for a nice brew.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I might have been mistaken on the capacity, but(ignoring the "Max Fill" line) I 3/4 filled two 1pint mugs, and added a little for cleaning.

I've been using it when I've been out as part of my daily outings, and a 200g cartridge has lasted well over a month boiling a pint once or twice a day.

One of the blokes I go out with quite a bit has the optimus, and I have to say, other than the way the stove go's together there is nothing in it.

Born 2 roam, if you use the 200 or 400 cartridge, you dont need the stabiliser, as they have the same size foot pirnt as the plastic "Legs". It also saves you £15.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Was very happy with my Jetboil but the 1l cup hasn't really been used since I got the orange 'GCS' pot for it instead. It's a nice set-up, the burner, pot stand, a 100g fuel can and an old fleece glove (lost the other one so this is my 'oven glove') fit inside the pot in a plastic bag, the pot with it's lid and bottom cover will seat inside a Sigg Inoxal frypan, and a Sea to Summit foldy bowl thingy will fit on the top of it. The whole lot fits in the nylon bag the Sigg pan came in. Not quite as quick and convenient as using the old original cup set-up, but you can do a lot more than just boil water this way, and I like that you've still got the heat exchanger thingy on the bottom of your pot so it should still save you some fuel.

The only niggling thing is what to do with the old 1l cup that's now devoid of a burner. I just did use it as the largest coffee mug in Western Europe for a time, but 1L of coffee turns into a marathon halfway through!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Was very happy with my Jetboil but the 1l cup hasn't really been used since I got the orange 'GCS' pot for it instead. It's a nice set-up, the burner, pot stand, a 100g fuel can and an old fleece glove (lost the other one so this is my 'oven glove') fit inside the pot in a plastic bag, the pot with it's lid and bottom cover will seat inside a Sigg Inoxal frypan, and a Sea to Summit foldy bowl thingy will fit on the top of it. The whole lot fits in the nylon bag the Sigg pan came in. Not quite as quick and convenient as using the old original cup set-up, but you can do a lot more than just boil water this way, and I like that you've still got the heat exchanger thingy on the bottom of your pot so it should still save you some fuel.

The only niggling thing is what to do with the old 1l cup that's now devoid of a burner. I just did use it as the largest coffee mug in Western Europe for a time, but 1L of coffee turns into a marathon halfway through!

This is a large coffee mug

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bubba-Keg...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item19c9498729 shop around for better prices

......Born 2 roam, if you use the 200 or 400 cartridge, you dont need the stabiliser, as they have the same size foot pirnt as the plastic "Legs". It also saves you £15.

I know mate, but I just love the 'compatibility' with a small canister INSIDE the Jetboil.... just came back from a weekend of canoeing, will weigh and calculate gas usage tomorrow and report back...

I would just very much like a 100 gr canister to do as advertised (boil 12 liters.... ). Calculating away for several trips here....

Grtz Johan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE