Cheap Booze!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
with the mods permission I hope...

"hop and grape" Darlington. big website.

no connection other than as a very impressed customer (say Hi to John and Patsy)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
How much!? A tenner for six wee packets of yeast (probably only equivalent to 1 "proper" pack of yeast), a bung, and airlock, and some labels? What a rip-off! Even if it is in US dollars...

Matt, what you're making there is known in the trade as "turbo cider". Most people use the cheapest juice they can possibly find, and bread yeast. Sounds nasty to me, but then I'm not much of a cider fan at the best of times....

Yeah and with only 1 airlock it's limited to only brewing 2lts at a time.
If you want to brew in 2lt bottles EZ-Caps seem a better bet to me.

Or you could be really cheap and use a ballon whipped over the neck to stop it flying off.
Might need emptying a few times, does anyone know how much gas would be given off?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Now there's a question... "Really quite a lot" would be my approximate answer. Put it this way - I recently moved to a closed fermenter with an airlock for my beer. For the first couple of days of fermentation, an ordinary wine-makers airlock isn't really up to the volume of gas being produced, so I use a "blow-off tube" - basically just a tube from the airlock port with the other end stuck in a bottle of water. That blows off a couple of CCs of CO2 every few seconds for the first day or two - and that's once the pressure has built up enough (in a vessel with nearly 10L of head space) to displace 5-10cm of water from the tube.

You'd need a big balloon. ;)

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Just done a 10g brew this weekend, it keeps me out of the way when the in-laws are here whilst not quite being so obvious as beggaring off to the fells every time.
I just put a loose lid over the bucket for the initial ferment and drop into an airlocked vessel later. Many excellent craft brewers don't even bother with this step.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I always used to just leave the lid lose on the bucket, but I've ended up losing a couple of batches due to vinegar flies finding their way in... My old bucket had got pretty scratched up too and was getting hard to clean, so I decided to replace it with a nice new 30L bucket with an airlock port. This one is definitely only getting plastic implements used in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE