Eddie Stone....I couldn't believe what I was seeing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beaver1970

I recently watched the TV series SAS Survival Secrets. It was terrible. I understand that the programme could be edited to protect tactics that are used.

Then in one particular episode Eddie was cold, they weather looked windy cold and damp. HE said he was going to light a fire and use a method taught to the SAS. I hope not or they could have a problem.

The technique he said he was using was Potassium Permanganate mixed with Glycerine. He put out some potassium permanganate then poured on the glycerine. A quick bit of editing and it burst into flames. In what seemed like seconds. I say with editing because Eddie failed to mention that these two chemicals don't work this way if they are under about 70 degrees celcius. The only way this could have worked is.
  1. Eddie didn't use glycerine but used some other chemical for example brake fluid that works at much lower temperature.
  2. Eddie had a way to warm the chemicals. I doubt this or he would have mentioned it or shown something.
  3. Eddie cheated and another method was used and it was edited to look like this method worked.

This is a shame as Eddie seems a genuine guy, why cheat or deceive people with something so simple? Use another method that would work in that environment, or a different chemical.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Perhaps the BBC or whichever television company made or broadcast the programme feared the complaints from 'offended viewers' who may have contended that showing the true formula would encourage any doughnut who saw the programme would add that newly divulged skill to his preparations for Amageddon, and set fire to the local park where he 'stealth camps' while he awaits.... the end......

There are probably as many people upset by broadcasting the incorrect formula as there would be by the correct one. :lmao:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I never watched the TV series SAS Survival Secrets. but I can confirm:~

Nope, there is no chemical difference between glycerol, glycerin or glycerine. All 3 names refer to the same compound, propane-1,2,3-triol. Glycerin and glycerol are both names for the same molecule.

A.K.A "KMn04" (Approx) 4 Grams of KMn04 (A.K.A.Potassium permanganate) & 2ml of glycerol which doesn’t sound like a lot but it is enough powder (depending on the amount you use & the conditions) to start around 5 fires.

if Potassium permanganate goes on your hands it stains them purple & also pretty much anything else it touches Messy stuff it doesnt wash off either...

13570295324_4a54056506.jpg

13570358924_9d791e50cd.jpg

here is my kit...

16963449658_58ab245ae6.jpg

16963436978_76eb32167b.jpg

Hope this helps Guys? from the friendly doughnut

be afraid Guys be very afraid glycerol is also the main ingredient for Nitroglycerin (NG), also known as nitroglycerine, trinitroglycerin (TNG), trinitroglycerine, nitro, glyceryl trinitrate (GTN), or 1,2,3-trinitroxypropane, is a heavy, colorless, oily, explosive liquid most commonly produced by nitrating glycerol with white fuming nitric acid under conditions appropriate to the formation of the nitric acid ester.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I remember this clip

[video=youtube;7XPJNF6VaHM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XPJNF6VaHM[/video]

Demonstrates using tampons and alcohol wipes as tinder for a ferro rod, and then gets the glycerin and PP out.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
... these two chemicals don't work this way if they are under about 70 degrees celcius. The only way this could have worked is....

I think you must mean DegF not DegC. I have achieved that reaction many times and while the chemicals do need to be warm, they work fine at standard British summer temperatures of 15C / 60F. In colder weather, if carried close to the body, there is a very brief grace period before they chill to external ambient.

I didn't watch the program so don't know what was actually shown, and TV producers do edit and set things up in order to make for smoother presentation. To be down on the guy in front of the camera may be unfair. He may have been very happy that it took twenty seconds to work, but the TV people didn't think that viewers would want a screen close up of a pile of black gunk for 20 seconds.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Keep the glycerin in a plastic bottle near the skin when its cold out. (It is 100% safe to the skin) Dont add too much glycerin as you don't want to drown out the heating effect. I add mine to a waxed egg box "shell" which in turn catches alight.
It sure as 'ell does not need to be 30 Deg C !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE