Pet Hates In Fiction.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury

Stew you devil!
I just spent an hour or so watching vids by that man and I am supposed to be getting a quote finished. :banghead:
What's more is that another escape from reality has been ruined when I found this one.....
[video=youtube_share;DMi-N5exqD4]http://youtu.be/DMi-N5exqD4[/video]

:lmao::lmao:

Back on main topic....

Finding spelling and grammar mistakes along with incorrect facts ruin a book for me, I mean if the professionals can't get it right what hope do I have?
Never understood why authors quote " X " rounds per minute for weapons that will never actually match that number in use as the magazines hold 30 odd each (or whatever, I am not an expert armourer) and the user would have to exceed the speed of Legolas to re-arm and fire. :deadhorse: comes to mind......

Rob.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i hate race scenes where the cars are continually switching positions, and also any Fast and Furious race where there are about 30 gears on each car, at least it seems like that because on a straight track they change gears that many times

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Any time McGuyver escapes using a paper clip, a candle and an empty Coke can, or something similar. He was not the only one guilty of this kind of plot laziness, The A team were at it too.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The movie fact that ANY vehicle will accelerate violently if you just dip the clutch and change a gear.

Referring to any 4x4, but especially a landrover as a "jeep"

7 shot revolvers.

The need to blow up the good old Enterprise about every 3rd or 4th Star Trek movie.

The entire Star Trek re-boot, come on J J Abrahms, come up with something NEW for once!

Bruce Willis closing his eyes every time he fires a gun.

Soap operas.

Phew - I need a lie down after that!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The Lord of the Rings, if nothing else the whole 'scouring of the shire' section should have been chopped and left for future books of notes that the authors son could publish.

cor, that bit was hard work. it felt like the literary equivalent of digging a big hole for no good reason, filling in it back in, and then digging it out again.....i don't think i'v ever read that section in full again

mind you, i'll never forgive gandalf for taking merry and pippin instead of the sons of elrond....what a bone head move lol

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
"There are plenty of 7 shot revolvers made - and some 12 shot ones too! "

True Red, but not Colt 1873 Model 'P's, S&W 29's, S&W Military and Police etc.

The only 8 shot I ever fired was a Le Mat, with a 20 bore slung under the rifled barrel for good measure.

Dave

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

The only 8 shot I ever fired was a Le Mat, with a 20 bore slung under the rifled barrel for good measure.

Dave

Ahh you didn't say historic ones :)

If we are talking single action, really 5 rounds would be more realistic - almost no-one carried a loaded chamber under the hammer (no-one without a self inflicted wound anyway :))

I was thinking more like the Smith 686 (which is about as good a revolver as is currently made IMO)

As a boring nerdy comment - SW M&P make an R8 (8 round) revolver

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57783_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher :lmao:

My only point of reference for the Jack Reacher character is the movie, which I actually really enjoyed, the bathroom fight scene where he ends up beating one guy with another guy had us in stitches, very very funny film. It was supposed to be a comedy wasn't it?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Dave

I always fancied a LeMat - one of my Western "Wargames" characters used one to great effect :)

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Ah, the 686, I had a 586 which as you probably know is the same thing in blued steel, I was also lucky enough to have a Colt Python for a while, that was a beauty, I sold it to move up to a Davis Windmaster for shooting the 1500 and Police Pistol 1 & 2. I've sort of lost touch with what's available since I had to surrender mine in 1997!
I agree about 5 in a single action, even though I only had Ruger Blackhawks, which were technically safe to load with 6.

Ah, the memories!

People pretending they can play musical instruments, with the sound dubbed over the top. As a fiddle player, it drives me nuts when you can see the actor sawing away at it like a kid with their first junior hacksaw, but there's a nice gentle melody playing. I read somewhere that Benedict Cumberbatch actually had lessons in order to make it look like he really could play. Guess what? He failed. It was still really obvious.

Also, on the subject of swords, did anyone spot in that episode of Game of Thrones (S1, Ep3, I think), where Arya was having a lesson with Syrio Florel, using wooden swords, and at the end of the scene, the wooden swords are making metallic 'dink' noises. Watch here for 20 seconds and here it go from 'thud' to 'dink': http://youtu.be/dYi4ob82ETU?t=5m50s

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
People pretending they can play musical instruments, with the sound dubbed over the top. As a fiddle player, it drives me nuts when you can see the actor sawing away at it like a kid with their first junior hacksaw, but there's a nice gentle melody playing. I read somewhere that Benedict Cumberbatch actually had lessons in order to make it look like he really could play. Guess what? He failed. It was still really obvious.

Also, on the subject of swords, did anyone spot in that episode of Game of Thrones (S1, Ep3, I think), where Arya was having a lesson with Syrio Florel, using wooden swords, and at the end of the scene, the wooden swords are making metallic 'dink' noises. Watch here for 20 seconds and here it go from 'thud' to 'dink': http://youtu.be/dYi4ob82ETU?t=5m50s

I think thast is Sean slipping into imagining that it is real rather than a Foly F...oly-up

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Oh I soooo know what you mean there. Sit back and enjoy the action. I highly recommend deep breaths during this thrilling performance.

[video=youtube;KKW4wRDTI6Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKW4wRDTI6Q[/video]

Perfect example.
Both inline four, fourstroke noises badly dubbed onto single cylinder twostrokes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE