zip ties as snares

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Even using them as a "whip" snare would be difficult!! To be effective, any snare needs to run freely!! Even if they did manage to trap "small game" it would be doubtful that a quick kill would result :( I'd forget the idea. Also, I wouldn't consider carrying zip-ties in my survival kit when paracord or brass wire will do far more jobs than a zip-tie !!

Snares arnt ment to Kill even whip ones ( you need a pretty bigstrong Whip and beefed up trigger to hold it even for a rabbit)
they should have a stop to prevent it going to tight.

ATB

Duncan

rimmer

Apr 1, 2010
eastsussex
why would you need to theres always something you can use as cordige its just a mater or knowing how best to use it and in a real situation whos to say you would have them unless you make a habit of keeping a pack in your pocket

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I was only joking about carrying a pack of zip ties, I just have 2 or 3 in my bag.

I spend most of my time on the fell tops where there ain't anything other than Heather and grass. The leatherman/tie combo has proved its worth many a time.

MattB

Jul 9, 2012
UK
Also, even if you could get it to work surely you'd have difficulty securely attaching the other end to something?

MattB

Jul 9, 2012
UK
Ha!

In all seriousness though, if you think of a cable tie it's a single loop. If you're using that loop as a snare, how do you attach the other end? It's a plastic tape, so you can't really tie it to anything...

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Ha!

In all seriousness though, if you think of a cable tie it's a single loop. If you're using that loop as a snare, how do you attach the other end? It's a plastic tape, so you can't really tie it to anything...

Just tried this out - you are correct, not sure how the guy in the you tube vid does it, probably with some fine brass wire!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i snare 52 weeks of the year for rabbits and i can say with confidence that zip ties wont work,even the best snares miss more rabbits than they catch,i set 60 snares to get 3-4 rabbits ,admittitly this is down to the nuber of rabbits being at an all time low here.
as stated snare do not usually kill a coney,if they do die in one its usually due to tangling round some thing and it tightening,traditionally snares are used in conjunction with a 'dog leg' this is a stick put in the groundclose to the snare that the coney will tangle round and quicken its death ,live caught coney are very stressed which is bad for the meat in my oppinion,as for spring snares ,well ive made many different types but as i said the ratio of snares to catches is so small you would spend lots of energy making 60 spring snares,the only spring type device i have found usefull is a sprung fishing line.

genericland-traps-1VVVV_bak-1.png

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE