zip ties as snares

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Don't think they'd run freely enough for normally set snares but might work well for whip snares. Small ones are useful for holding normal wire snares to tealers.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Even using them as a "whip" snare would be difficult!! To be effective, any snare needs to run freely!! Even if they did manage to trap "small game" it would be doubtful that a quick kill would result :( I'd forget the idea. Also, I wouldn't consider carrying zip-ties in my survival kit when paracord or brass wire will do far more jobs than a zip-tie !!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I agree with the above statement. They definitely dont run free enough to provide an effective catch and an efficient kill. Chances are what ever you were trying to catch would get out before the zip tie having time to fully close. Like mentioned, copper/brass wire far more effective :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Even using them as a "whip" snare would be difficult!! To be effective, any snare needs to run freely!! Even if they did manage to trap "small game" it would be doubtful that a quick kill would result :( I'd forget the idea. Also, I wouldn't consider carrying zip-ties in my survival kit when paracord or brass wire will do far more jobs than a zip-tie !!

What ^ said.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
In the unlikely event of being in a survival situation and all I had was zip ties I'd use them to catch anything regardless of it being a 'clean kill' - it is a survival situation after all.

There are some zip tie snares demonstrated (albeit badly) on you tube.

Snares for pest control are designed to restrain, not kill, in case of non target captures.

Zip ties are so useful and light its well worth carrying a few.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If zip ties are all you have then snaring food is the least of your worries, I would not think they would be the best choice of any material unless you were naked and unable to make some twine from natural materials and all you had was a bag of zip ties.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
If you've got yourself into a situation where you are naked and starving, and equipped with nowt but a bag of zip ties, you'd have to question wether you should have been allowed out on your own in the first place!:D

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
The point I was trying to make was animal welfare wouldn't be high on my list if I was starving.

There's a whole load of posts over on one of the US forums about zip ties - while maybe not number one choice for snaring they do have a place, especially in the real world. I've used them to fix all kind of things, especially on vehicles where a no stretch secure fastening is needed.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
Cable ties are the new baler string!

Definetly good for lots of things but snaring is a hard enough skill to master even when using large quantities of proper snares.

I'm no head shrinker but I suspect the constant disapointment of checking a small number of improvised snares would have a serious negative effect on a person who was genuinely trying to survive. Going out hunting with bag full of rocks and a pointy stick would probably be equally unsucessful but at least it would pass the time and you would feel that you were doing something.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
They do work if you shave off nearly all the little nibs and shape a few to slip more easily. I suppose they could be used in a purely survival situation. Plus they are handy for a multitude of uses, however they do seem to run a little contrary to the ethos for general cordage use. I personnally wouldn't use them but have a small pack in kit for emergency only.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Big NO to this, Snare use is hard even under ideal conditions When I was in collage I found lots of rabbit snares incorrectly set or used the incorrect material they did:
A: Not work
B: Let the game escape.
C: Left the animal trapped but still alive.
D: Acted more like a saw on the animal.

Now they zip ties look ideal but the don't close fast enough, or more importantly act smooth (you need good freedom of flow on the loop, picture Barry White on the pull that's the perfect smooth) enough and also Lock (I know this is for survival only use hypothetical etc) but this is agenst the law to use in the UK.

As for what I have seen them made from, the odd ball's are: Solder, Guitar string, Fencing wire, Electrical cord (kettle flex type), Ethernet cable, Orange builders braid, and Strimmer cutting flex.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Big NO to this, Snare use is hard even under ideal conditions When I was in collage I found lots of rabbit snares incorrectly set or used the incorrect material they did:
A: Not work
B: Let the game escape.
C: Left the animal trapped but still alive.
D: Acted more like a saw on the animal.

Now they zip ties look ideal but the don't close fast enough, or more importantly act smooth (you need good freedom of flow on the loop, picture Barry White on the pull that's the perfect smooth) enough and also Lock (I know this is for survival only use hypothetical etc) but this is agenst the law to use in the UK.

As for what I have seen them made from, the odd ball's are: Solder, Guitar string, Fencing wire, Electrical cord (kettle flex type), Ethernet cable, Orange builders braid, and Strimmer cutting flex.

See above they do work if modified.

caffeine

Banned
Jul 29, 2012
Earth
brass picture frame wire as already mentioned ...

you can tie it off onto some para cord and stake in the ground

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Zip ties are so useful and light its well worth carrying a few..."

I usually have a few cable ties in my repair kit.

But for snares? Have the people posting these youtube videos actually set any number of snares and caught anything? Cordage will be just as light to carry and has more uses, proper snares or the wire to make your own will not weigh you down and unlike a plastic zip tie you can blacken the thing in a fire to help remove the stink of human from them. Carrying fifty to eighty cables ties will be a little bulky, carrying the wire and eyes to make fifty or more snares takes up no room at all.

Legal and moral issues aside, if you actually want to catch anything to eat, use proper snares or learn how to make and use them, keep your cable ties for lashing your boots back together or whatever.

:)

Last edited:

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
we should probably get something out of the way first.
there is nothing "humane" about trapping.

that said trapping works.

trapping with snares works.
i suspect it is popular because they are inexpensive and easy to carry a lot of.

small animals and tie wraps are a somewhat dubious proposition.
just not enough mass to be effective.

large game using large ties as leg holds might just work.

they will surely strangle something...eventually.
but the critter has to push all the way through to the shoulders before the tie will snug up.

the cheaper ties are not uv stable and will weaken over a very short exposure to the elements.

all in all wire or cordage is the better option.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE