ZIg Zag clover (trifolium medium)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Is anyone able to tell me if this can be used as a herb, ie in the same way you could use red or white clover?
Even if it doesn't have any herbal uses it would be good for me to know if it is dangerous when consumed. I've been collecting clover to dry and a wee bit concerned that I've only just realized how similar red and zig zag varieties are

Thanks in advance
Paul :confused:

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Thanks mate, it's really hard to find info on it.
Spent a while online yesterday and nothing conclusive. The only references i have in books are for id, not uses.
Thanks for the link though - good site

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is this the one you mean Paul ?

http://www.henriettesherbal.com/pictures/p14/pages/trifolium-medium.htm

I don't know if you know this site ? but it's very good for references :)
http://culturesheet.org/doku.php?id=fabaceae:trifolium:medium

I know it used to be sown to make clover hay with other varieties (they thrive in slightly different conditions) and was known as cow grass.

I'm lazy about clover, and I'm wary of ones that don't look well. I pick the red the white and the arrow (zigzag?) as I find them looking pert and ready. The arrow one doesn't dry as well as the red one though. I really only use them as teas. I know that there's a cultivated white clover that is not good to use though....glycerides or somesuch, I need to go and look it up, but I know that plant geneticists have bred some varieties now that don't have the problem......I'm still a bit wary of white clover that's growing where fields might have been planted.

Not much help I'm afraid, I just use both the reds (one is sometimes called purple, and it's the red, red iimmc) kind of indiscriminately.

cheers,
Mary

p.s. A book worth begging, stealing or borrowing (and no you can't have mine unless you're here to read it :D)
Herbal Drugs and Phytopharmaceuticals: A Handbook for Practice on a Scientific Basis ,Bisset, N.G. & Wichtl, M., (Eds), Medpharm Scientific Publishers, Stuttgart, 2nd Edtn., 2001

M

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Toddy, that's very one - thanks for the links.
I feel better about it now. The herbal site link says use the same as red clover and i read somewhere that healthy looking trifolium varieties are edible so i'm happy now. I'm almost 100% that all the clover i've collected is red clover but just incase there has been the odd zig zag collected i'm confident it wont do me (or the mrs) any harm.
My plan is to use then for tea
Thanks guys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE