zamberlan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
They were very popular about 20yrs ago, but seem to have fallen out of favour. I purchased a pair in about 1990, had them re-soled, but finaly wore the uppers out in 2008. I was'nt able to find a stockist near me so could'nt get a another pair easily, so went with meindls.

Rob

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Same here, I had a pair that served me well for over 20 years with a resole and the Missus has had a pair for about 15 years and are still going strong. Excellent boots but I have no idea where they are made these days and whether the quality is different.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
From what I understand it is still a small family business in the Italian mountains.
At the trade shows the family used to send over home made grappa and a whole parmesan cheese.
I love the cheese and th booze was good too...to give a reason for staying long enough on the stand to justify eating several pounds of the cheese I reviewed several pairs/designs in the mags I wite for ..over the years.
The quality was excellent - and so was the cheese!
Check out their website for more info and importers

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've just got hold of a pair from another member on here, they are a really comfortable fit and seem to be a very solid boot.
I can't say much more as I am still in the process of breaking them in.
But I'm definately happy with them so far!

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
My wife had a pair for some 15 years bought in a sale at a camping shop in Keswick ,great boots .

I had a pair of Zamberlans that lasted about 15 years (the uppers at least, needed to have them resoled once but probably 'cos I abused them doing some building work) - excellent boots. I would definitely consider getting another pair next time I'm after new boots.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
great boots, very comfortable, very well made, very long lasting, highly recommended by me, and can you all please stop this talk of "they were popular 20 years ago", i've just sat down and worked out when i got mine (the first pair of "proper" walking boots i ever got) and now i feel old!

stuart

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Yep, good brand that are still made in Italy. I had a pair nearly 20 years ago too, perhaps the best I ever owned. Did something silly with them, lord knows where they went.

PS. Does anyone think that Trespass stole the Zamberlan 'look' for their stuff?

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
My Zamberlans are 20+ years old. Still going strong, though admittedly I've had plenty of other boots over the years. They've done some miles though. They were great then, but obviously I can't vouch for their current production - anything could have changed.

EDIT: Forgot to say, the astonishing thing about mine is that they still have the original laces. Hardly a sign of wear on the things, and I must have worn these boots hundreds of times.

Last edited:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I think it important to point out that although still a great boot Zamberlan changed the last about 12 - 15 years ago. I had some and they were the most comfortable boots I ever had, then they went to the narrower last which is about the time they fell out of favour. Could be the reason as Brits generally have wide feet.

themoth

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
i hadn't even heard of this brand until recently, so i will definitely check them out after reading the posts in this thread.

I think it important to point out that although still a great boot Zamberlan changed the last about 12 - 15 years ago. I had some and they were the most comfortable boots I ever had, then they went to the narrower last which is about the time they fell out of favour. Could be the reason as Brits generally have wide feet.

I would have to agree with this point - I bought a pair of these when I went off to Uni on the edge of the Peak District, went through 2 sets of soles and when I had to retire them, the new ones just weren't wide enough any more :(
And like other posters have observed above, I went over to Meindl.
The Zamberlans were very comfortable from the word go, and remained so for a good 20 years, so the quality was right up there with the best of them. The Meindls may just edge them on quality, but it would be a close call.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
This thread got me thinking, and as i needed some new boots for dogwalking, not wanting to use my meindls. I looked on ebay, and managed to win a pair of old school brown leather zamberlans. They've been in someone's shed/garage for a while and have gone stiff, but are now starting to soften up, should get a few years out of them, cost me £30 posted.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE