your thoughts please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi there all ,just wondering if you could help me. Its my birthday on the 18th & the wife wanted to know what gift to get me, so i suggested a book of some sort but the problem is which book!

My collection so far includes:
The SAS SURVIVAL HAND BOOK JOHN WISEMAN
The ULTIMATE SURVIVAL GUIDE CHRIS RYAN
OUTDOOR SURVIVAL HANDBOOK RAY MEARS
BUSHCRAFT " "
Collins gem: WILD FLOWERS
MUSHROOMS & TOADSTOOLS
BIRDS
TREES
The MACDONALDS ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MUSHROOMS & TOADSTOOLS
WILD FOOD ROGER PHILLIPS
FOOD FOR FREE RICHARD MABEY
LIVING OF THE LAND JOHN HUMPHREYS
ANIMAL TRACKS & SIGNS PREBEN BANG,PREBEN DAHLSTROM.

So theres my collection,any suggestions anyone?
i would,nt mind somthing on primitive skills or advanced bushcraft though but no more basic stuff as i think i,ve got a grip of that.
Anyway over to you. CHEERS STUART F.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
well you could go for a couple of old timey classics,

woodcraft and camping by nessmuk, not a massive amount of info, but a great read, inspiring stuff. if anyone asks why bushcraft? feed 'em nessmuk.

cache lake country by jj rowlins a bit more modern, and another great and inspiring read. some great sketches and illustrations.

on to some slightly drier, more technically informative old timey books.

kepharts camping and wood craft. lots of info, bit too dry.

on your own in the wilderness, by brad angier and townsend whelen, you may have heard of the whelan lean-to. one of my favourite technical books.

anything by calvin rutstrum, i've only read new way of the wilderness, but it was good. the rest come very highly recommended.

wild woods wisdom, by ellesworth(?sp) jaeger? i've only had a chance of a quick flick through this one, but it had some great, if not very PC drawings. on my list of books to get.

and a modern book, 98.6 degrees the art of keeping your bottom alive, by cody lundin. compulsary reading for outdoors fans imo.

that'll do for a start eh? :-D

cheers, and.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I like these too:
Primitive Technology: A Book of Earth Skills
Primitive Technology II: Ancestral Skill

Both are very good, albeit a bit "bitty" - they are a bunch of articles made into a book.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Another now bushcraft classic is Bushcraft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival -- Mors Kochanski
Also I see you have a few collins gem books. Collind Gem Guides - Fruits, Nuts and Berries complements the Tree book realy well. The other two collins gems I like are the ones on knots and weather.

;-)
Ed

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Cheers for the advice guys on the book front. Just got NESSMUK & KEPHARTS books through the post, so i,ve got some more brain filling to do for a wee while. Of course i still try to con the wife to buy me the rest and keep on expanding my library. CHEERS AGAIN
STUART F.
Oh just as a foot note i spent the night under tarp in -6 temps in a local wood next to a reservoir with two swans for company,amongst other wildlife. i had drop scones for breakfast,a most memorable birthday all alone just me and the swans. Of course i had to come home for my new books :-D .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE