Yet another Swede

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
Well if its just a part of most people's life as a default then you surely wouldn't need a name for it. You live it, we sometimes guilty of talking about it. I mean as a nation. or most of the nation. If more people do the bushcraft types of activities then the skills could be in wider curculation and it is less of an activity than just a facet of life. In that case it doesn't really need a name for it. If that makes sense. I also remember something on a Ray Mears programme about how in Sweden there is a closer connection to the natural world and the skills needed to be out in it. There is also a right of access that is so deeply ingrained in the national psyche that it doesn't need legislation to keep it. Kind of like our human rights, an inalienable right of access. In that case you don't need a word for it I guess.

I have only recently discovered Ray Mears films on YouTube, among them various clips from a visit he made to Sweden. He is obviously a highly skilled and experienced bushcrafter, but I must confess that I hadn´t heard of him before. I don´t think any of his programs have been broadcasted over here.

Although regretable, I´m afraid his description of an almost spiritual approach to the nature and outdoors life isn´t that widespread in our country, especially not in the cities. People in general seems to be more interested in shopping and the latest game shows on the TV.

But, I don´t mind, that only gives me more free space and undisturbed walks out in the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE