Yet another Boot question....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 18, 2012
Stoke-on-Trent
Hello all
Have recently had opportunity to buy quite cheaply a nearly-new pair of Lowa PTBs in 9 after hearing people raving about Lowa boots. However after 2 6-mile hikes I found that the outer bottom edge of my right foot is quite painful, not blistered, just painful.
My question is, after buying only second hand boots before (British AB30 cold weather Goretex lined boots) is this a breaking in issue? Other foot is fine apart from feeling some horizontal pressure on the top of the foot where lacing starts.
My issue is that I think I have very wide feet. I've measured them at 257mm long and 112mm wide (at widest point). Should I persevere with the Lowas or buy something like German Para or Mountain boots as I understand they come in a Wide fit but every website I search on just seem to list boots as '8', '9' and don't respond to queries about width...closest Lowa stockist is Springfields in Burton but they don't carry Wide fits.
Boots are used for hikes and TA (issue boots wreck my Achilles!)
Help greatly appreciated...
Ash

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Perservere a little longer with breaking in- a weekend away in them where they get wet is the fastest! If you are worried, tape up your feet with a bit of Zinc Oxide at the start. If you still get some annoyance, then look at insoles- Superfeet green are a pretty good off the shelf option (and will last you for years in your various outdoor footwear). Steer clear of overly spongy insoles though (sorbothane et al), and insoles that raise your feet too high in the boot.

I have pretty wide feet and get on ok with Lowas. With any 2nd hand leather boot, they will have moulded to the feet/walking style of the previous user to an extent, so hopefully you just need to get past this.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
What kind of insoles are you using ?, they can make a big difference....Do you know the width of your lowas ? & what size are they ( & I don't mean the english size ;) )
German para boot widths start at 99mm & go right up to 120mm.by the way.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
If they don't fit your feet right i can't see much sense in Persevering with them.

Get them sold on Ebay and buy a different pair IMO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE