Yesterdays fungi collection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,heres yesterdays little walk find. The reason for the walk was to collect some wood for bowls and spoon carving,but i managed to find some nice edibles that were too good to pass up.

Left of pic,Chanterelle(Cantharellus cibarius),top right,a single Field mushroom(Agaricus campestris),bottom right,Wood Hedgehog(Hydnum repandum).

DSCF1456800x600.jpg

And some close ups of the spines on the Hedgehog mushrooms.

DSCF1459800x600.jpg

DSCF1458800x600.jpg

I will be drying these for use over the winter period,yum yum.
Cheers Stuart.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Nice collection bud , i wouldn't know what was safe to eat , i would love too learn though

You can't go wrong with hedgehogs - all british spined mushrooms are edible (ETA: apart from those which are too tough, none are poisonous). Chanterelles are only marginally more tricky. Field mushrooms slightly more tricky again.

This particular collection is looking a bit old to be honest...I suspect other people had already been past and left these specimens. A few of them are well past it.

I run courses if you want to learn and can get to southeast England. Still spaces left for this year...

Last edited:

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
What would the drying involve, and if you have any info on this or links I would appreciate them thanks. I love mushrooms and have picked the odd one or two and eaten them, I have several books on ID and such. I would like to know more about preserving them IE: drying out and storage. Any info please.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice haul! I just fry my hedgehog off for a couple minutes, let them cool and freeze for future use. I'd love to get a dehydrator though. This thread is making me hungry!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
What would the drying involve, and if you have any info on this or links I would appreciate them thanks. I love mushrooms and have picked the odd one or two and eaten them, I have several books on ID and such. I would like to know more about preserving them IE: drying out and storage. Any info please.

slice and leave in warm dry place, shelf above radiator is fine. Or thread up small ones with needle and cotton and dangle in warm dry place. Wrap in greese proof paper to store. I like to use mine within two years of storage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE