Yellowstone Alpine 2 Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I have one, used mostly in fair weather, but it stood up perfectly to 55-60mph winds and torrential rain for 10 hours on Isle of Skye, treat it with a little respect and yes it is a good tent for the money, you don't expect high durability at that price.

There is enough space inside the inner and between the inner and fly to store all my gear (I was not traveling light) from the elements.

All in all I am pleasantly surprised at how good a little tent it is.

Edit, Bugproof (dreaded midge) yes it is.

ryemck

Sep 9, 2015
Liverpool
I have one, used mostly in fair weather, but it stood up perfectly to 55-60mph winds and torrential rain for 10 hours on Isle of Skye, treat it with a little respect and yes it is a good tent for the money, you don't expect high durability at that price.

There is enough space inside the inner and between the inner and fly to store all my gear (I was not traveling light) from the elements.

All in all I am pleasantly surprised at how good a little tent it is.

Edit, Bugproof (dreaded midge) yes it is.

Thank you :D Looks like I'll be getting it then.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Make sure it's long enough for you, and not too low at the ends.

A few years back I bought one like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canyon-Card...tsZhSOL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

because it has a slightly unusual footprint. It's sold as a two-man tent, but I use it for solo camping so I can sleep in the middle and have plenty of head/foot room.

The one I've linked to is a bit heavy for solo backpacking but there might be something similar sold as a one person tent which you might find better as I think you're fairly tall.

quidditys_shore

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Middlesbrough
Not tried this but I did buy the 1 man version (matterhorn 1) & it was terrible. The pole at the head end is under far to much tension. I set it up in the living room & it cracked. Replaced by Amazon & that also cracked in the same places. Third tent also did the same so got a refund. Strangely the aldi 1 man hiking tent is made by adventuridge, the same company a yellowstone, & is almost identical to the matterhorn yet that has no issues.

I'm 5'11" & have plenty of space for my & kit in my well used argos pro action hike lite. It also goes under the name of tiger paw (in green rather than bright orange lol) if you can find one.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
As quidditys_shore said, these tents are sold under different brand names, e.g. the 2 person 'Alpine' (not Matterhorn) would appear to be the Gelert Mongoose (the advert has the weight wrong - it should be 1.9kg and the rear vent is slightly different).
https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/ten...-pd-5990.php?gclid=CKW2_pKi5sgCFacewwodg5gA9Q

I've seen them in Tesco and Wilko too, but would need to be on 'offer' price to match the Amazon deal.
http://www.tesco.com/direct/yellowstone-alpine-2-man-tent/612-5638.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=612-5638

See edit re Alpine\Matterhorn

Last edited:

ryemck

Sep 9, 2015
Liverpool
Ohhhh I don't know what to do :/ I really don't want the tent to break, I have absolutely no experience with fixing, mending or even putting tents up. Should I just buy a higher end one?

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Ohhhh I don't know what to do :/ I really don't want the tent to break, I have absolutely no experience with fixing, mending or even putting tents up. Should I just buy a higher end one?

:p So many choices and decisions, it's always the way with selecting a tent, and myriad opinions as to what is best and does or does not work.

Personally, I have not had a problem with poles on any tent, low cost or higher end, but I know it does happen, whatever you buy, trial it by erecting it in the home or garden, get to know it beforehand rather than take it to the field for first use.

Whatever you buy, enjoy, but you will find your thoughts on what you need will change (and probably often) :).

Nowt wrong with starting with lower cost tents to find out what kind of tent(s) really fit your needs, there is no single tent that 'does it all' for all situations, welcome to tent reality :rolleyes:.

quidditys_shore

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Middlesbrough
Keep an eye out on ebay for the hike lite/tiger paws I mentioned (though google to make sure it'll be big enough! Depends on the width you want) ad they appear regularly on ebay for about £25-£40. I got the hike lite in the argos sale 6 years ago for £15, absolute bargain! Wanted an inconspicuous tent though & was shocked to get a tiger paws brand new (though 8 years old!) for £16 off ebay!

What I find great is the space, being able to sit up inside, pack size & importantly (compared to the yellowstone tents) they have aluminium poles.

Aside form them I've not used any other tents except my 30 year old doe one lol

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE