Yellow Birch sap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I collected some birch sap yestersay, two bottles where perfectly clear, the other has a yellow tinge, the bottles where not tampered with, is this normal/safe to drink?

Thanks

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
in what conditions are the birch growing? personally i would probably risk it anyway, but i'm not advising others to do the same!

they may be more perceptible to picking up pesticides and the like nearer a farm. but to be honest i'm not sure. are you near sewage?

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
No in the middle of a semi mature (25 year old) plantation all the trees within 10m of each other, on sandy soil

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
then i'd be drinking it! but caution is always advised i guess. i have found myself immune to most things, living as i do near a 25 year old plantation of douglas fir myself, but in the middle of a farm! the birch form our pesticide wind break, but i boiled it and tried it anyway, i don't know if heat has any effect on pesticides but the reason i did that was to make a syrup anyway. i'm pretty wreckless to be honest!

edit: i have a random question: what flavours lincolnshire sausages? :D i saw some vege ones in the supermarket...

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
bushtuckerman said:
then i'd be drinking it! but caution is always advised i guess. i have found myself immune to most things, living as i do near a 25 year old plantation of douglas fir myself, but in the middle of a farm! the birch form our pesticide wind break, but i boiled it and tried it anyway, i don't know if heat has any effect on pesticides but the reason i did that was to make a syrup anyway. i'm pretty wreckless to be honest!

edit: i have a random question: what flavours lincolnshire sausages? :D i saw some vege ones in the supermarket...

Stale bread, salt Most importantly Black peper and rubbed sage

Thanks for the sap advice!

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've seen various shades of sap from birches, from clear through to a light yellow. I believe the yellow is perfectly natural, and is related to the presence of anthocyanins in the sap - either way I've used such sap in wine-making with no ill effects...

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
no worries, thanks for the recipe!

i should have mentioned that the purity of the sap seemed to be affected by tanins in the bark when i tapped ours, so how clean the cut is may have an influence.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE