Ye Olde Oak ready meals!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Bit of a review here on the Ye Olde Oak Ready meals.

http://www.yeoldeoak.co.uk/en/products/ready-meals

I spotted these in Asda the other day and upon reading i realised these things would make fantastic 2 person meals! (says on the packet 2-3 ppl)
so i ventured the chicken tikka masala which also showed 2 chilli peppers which said "medium" but more on that later.

now i usualy go camping with Col (Calibanzwei) so the idea behind this is your either camping with a m8 or can cook two pans at the same time because believe me you'll need it. As we both have military trangs it was a fairly simple job of one cooking the curry and one cooking the rice.

i must admit i was pleasently suprised by the curry! it was tasty, had a good texture to it and even contained a fair old amount of chicken, on a bed of rice it was just heaven on a cold night. although it says its a medium i would firmly place it in the mild catagory, possibly the only let down, but that means it'll probebly be ok for the younger camp followers. The chicken wasn't chewy or weird like some ready meals can be and the sauce was quite thick and very nice, smelled great too.

Overall i was really happy, and the both of us used pitta breads to get the last of it out of our tins!

retails at about £2.50 in asda or sometimes they're on offer, however when compared to say a LWWF pouch which is nearly £3.00 you get a good deal imo. total weight is 575g and clocks in 211kcal per 100g.

hope you try em soon because i'll be getting plenty more!
Pete
:D

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
This may be a stupid question.

When you were cooking in the pan did you 'boil in the bag' or empty the contents and cook it?

Thanks

Trojan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I did a review on these a year or two ago, great value and as you said, enough for two when you add rice. Poundstretcher stocks them from time to time at £1.49 IIRC

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I use these when I'm out with the scouts.
I just pop the bag into a billy of water over the fire and leave it.
Lovely. I've not tried the vindaloo one yet though. Maybe next time.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I did a review on these a year or two ago, great value and as you said, enough for two when you add rice. Poundstretcher stocks them from time to time at £1.49 IIRC
Really ? I'd like to be able to find them at this price, it's one of the few things I venture into ASDA for, the Old Oak pouches are a really good portion size, I prefer the Korma.

Must remember to look in Poundstretcher soon.......

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
what he said :D yeah we emptied but you can boil in the bag, its just its a big bag for an army trang.
Try squashing the pouch down, fold the end over, and put it sideways into the bottom of the large SAT pot....

I've even boil in the bag'd these in an electric kettle (works ok, but needs to be boiled twice for these larger pouches)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE