Yarrow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
yarrow.jpg

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
aaargh yarrow! The lawn where i work is infested with the stuff!!! Anyone know any uses for this plant? (I know about the soldiers using as field dressings in WW1 but any other uses??).

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
aaargh yarrow! The lawn where i work is infested with the stuff!!! Anyone know any uses for this plant? (I know about the soldiers using as field dressings in WW1 but any other uses??).

It has many uses. I don't want to violate any laws and since I am not a Doctor I am not recommending anyone using it for anything. But you can read the link below and decide for yourself.

http://www.altnature.com/gallery/yarrow.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2082972_use-yarrow.html

http://www.gardensablaze.com/HerbYarrowMed.htm

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching_divination

Hexagrams may be generated by the manipulation of yarrow stalks. The following directions are from the ten wings of the I Ching. Other instructions can be found here, and a calculation of probabilities here.

One takes fifty yarrow stalks, of which only forty-nine are used. These forty-nine are first divided into two heaps (at random), then a stalk from the right-hand heap is inserted between the ring finger and the little finger of the left hand. The left heap is counted through by fours, and the remainder (four or less) is inserted between the ring finger and the middle finger. The same thing is done with the right heap, and the remainder inserted between the forefinger and the middle finger. This constitutes one change.

Now one is holding in one's hand either five or nine stalks in all. The two remaining heaps are put together, and the same process is repeated twice. These second and third times, one obtains either four or eight stalks. The five stalks of the first counting and the four of each of the succeeding countings are regarded as a unit having the numerical value three; the nine stalks of the first counting and the eight of the succeeding countings have the numerical value two.

When three successive changes produce the sum 3+3+3=9, this makes the old yang, i.e., a firm line that moves. The sum 2+2+2=6 makes old yin, a yielding line that moves. Seven is the young yang, and eight the young yin; they are not taken into account as individual lines.

The correct probability has been used also in the marble, bean, dice and two or four coin methods below. This probability is significantly different from that of the three-coin method, because the required amount of accuracy occupies four binary bits of information, so three coins is one bit short. In terms of chances-out-of-16, the three-coin method yields 2,2,6,6 instead of 1,3,5,7 for old-yin, old-yang, young-yang, young-yin respectively.

Note that only the remainders after counting through fours are kept and laid upon the single stalk removed at the start. The piles of four are re-used for each change, the number of piles of four is not used in calculation; it's the remainders that are used. The removing of all the fours is a way of calculating the remainder, those fours are then re-used for the next change so that the total number of stalks in use remains high to keep all remainders equally probable.

Flies seem to like it
x2fliesyarrow.jpg

nice green eyes
GreeneyesYarrow.jpg

cheers Danny

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yarrow makes a very nice tea and can reduce high blood pressure and help clear blood clots due to the alkaloids found in the plant. The latin name comes from the belief that Achilles used the plant to heal his soldiers wounds, and the many feathery leaves - Achillea Millefolium
I've also read that it has anti-inflammatory properties and can be used internally and externally for bleeding piles and absent periods (the complete new herbal - Richard Mabey - excellent book by the way) It can alleviate colds and flu as a tea, is a digestive tonic and skin cleanser.
Anyway as mentioned, it makes a very nice tea especially with a little fresh mint and a spot of honey. Very healthy too and totally free.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Possibly, but meadowsweet is definately good as a tea for headaches, (out right know in abundance) or gnaw the root. Willow twigs work too. (salicylic acid) as usual though make sure your body is tolerent first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE