Yaktrax.. the dogs doodaas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I have been wearing these over the last few days and would like to let others know how good they are.
At first I was a little unsure but after a few days trial and changing into boots without them to drive and then nearly falling axxe over end
I can definatly reccomend them. As I walk dogs for a living I walk miles in them and have seen others struggle as I walk by.
Other brands are available etc but I can vouch for these as great value.
Riven.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Which ones did you get Riven? I've heard the regular coiled spring ones are pretty pants, I got the XTR's which have been just brill

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I bought a pair of the Pro versions in October and had no need of then until Monday- a wee walk up a local hill and they were brilliant.

I do like the look of the Katoola (?sp) Mirco spikes for more adventurous walking ( not climbing obviously) but I agree, the yaktraks are indeed, the dogs doodahs!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I got a pair from the man who comes to the door with the Betterware catalogue :) £8 and they are absolutely brilliant :D
We've had really bad hard packed slush turned to ice, and I have walked miles in these without a slip :D

I don't think mine would be the ideal choice for real off pavement and pathways stuff, but for walking around and gentle woodland path type dawdles they're excellent. These have a grid of springs and studs on a rubber frame that stretches over my boots and shoes. I confess I was very dubious, but I'm a convert and have now got two pairs :)

cheers,
Toddy

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The coiled spring ones are superb for icy smooth paths and pavements. The beauty of them is that you can go indoors in them without destroying the floor surface, eg on a town shopping trip, and drive in them, yet they still grip amazingly on hard water ice etc. Thy can also be whipped off in seconds if need be. For anything more rufty tufty, eg a day's frozen rough-shooting, with protruding rocks that could cut the rubber frame, or semi-thawed mud that could suck them off, I use Grivel instep spikes which strap on to your boots and never come off. Using one or the other provides a complete solution short of full crampons.

A pair of the basic Yaktrax over my muck boots was my permanent footwear during last years big freeze up north. Still going strong.

The trick is to get them much smaller than you think. For my size 9 shoes, "small" is the right size. Otherwise they slop around and break or come off.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I picked up a pair a few days ago before it snowed here down south & they were good the one time I have tried them. I got the YakTrax Pro's with the velcro strap that goes over the top for added security. Interesting about the recommendation to go for smaller ones as I went for the larger ones; so far so good & hopefully the strap will keep them from falling off. I had mine on a pair of size 9 walking boots & they worked well. Can recommend.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Can't beat small studs, think I've shown them in earlier threads, brilliant, I'm on my daughter's PC so can't put a pic up yet.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I saw Shewies yaktrax in the flesh and compared them to my kahtoola microspikes. There really isn't much difference at all apart from the solid plate on the yaktrax.

I think the Yaktrax just have the edge.

I have some German made snow chains and swmbo uses the winter trax (spiral wire type) My chains are great but would destroy laminate floors etc. The winter trax ones were on sale in Asda for £5 last week iirc. Amazon are selling Yak trax pro for less than a tenner when using a 20% off code (nowget20)??

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have the Yaktrack pro version, from SHMBO for Christmas, today I ordered her a pair from Amazon at less than half the price she paid at Cotswolds, here is a link where you can get them for £9,49 delivered look for the code that gives you 20% off
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yaktrax-Pro...JIOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328901905&sr=8-1

No affiliation and all that, just get yourself a bargain. Enter code NOWGET20 at the checkout and get 20% off Clothing and Shoes sold and dispatched by Amazon.co.uk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE