Wooly Pully sweater

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
TwoFourAlpha said:
'58 pattern webbing has got to be the worst equipment carrying system ever.

Ammo Pouches at the front? Blisters on thighs, and broken ribs when somebody shouts "CONTACT!! "

I think 58 was great, with the exception of the large pack.

Ammo pouches were worn at your side. No blisters on thighs or broken ribs...

I remember running out of the block with only a couple of quid and a kebab list longer than my arm and a corporal that wanted change shooting at me with an air rifle.

Taught me how to avoid effective enemy fire!

Or shoving each arm into a rolled up sleeping mat and beating up another sprog whilst drinking in the squadron bar.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
addyb,

My two issue jersey heavy wool (wooly pully) were never used in the field due to the amount of starch that was on the elbow and sholder pads, I had one for parade on monday mornings and the other for the rest of the week when in long sleeve order. Are you looking for one, what size would you be if you are after one?

Brian

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Brian,

Actually, I have one, a Canadian one. I got it brand new just before I graduated from cadets last year; a retired infantry officer came to our squadron with a huge duffle bag, dropped it in our NCO lounge and said "Have it it." So I grabbed a few things.

Anyway, one of the things I grabbed was a brand new wool commando sweater, still in it's plastic wrapper. It's green, heavy, VERY warm, and also water repellent. It has green poly-cotton reinforcements on the elbows and shoulders. I wear it under my Ventile when it gets cold here.

I was just curious if the sweaters were combat dress, or if they were relegated to garrison wear, but seems this thread has taken a different direction. :cool:

Just me and my insatiable curiosity!

Cheers,

A.

addyb.

My dad was a cadet during the early fifties when he lived in northern Ontario.
The only piece of uniform that they wore was a green peaked hat with fold down sides and a badge at the front.

He has a photo of him his brother and his best friend dressed in their mackinaws,snow shoes and carrying a 30-30 repeater rifle,going on 'manouveres' as my dad always calls it :D

I bet that the uniform is alot more modern these days :D

He told me that he use to wear a pair of woollen RCAF fighter pilots trousers that were wired up to batteries that you stowed inside your pockets!

P.S. you've created a monster :D

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Well, now that you mention it, yes when I was in cadets, our uniform was more 'modern' in a way. But not really.

We wore a replica of the WWII RCAF and RAF blue uniform, the ones you see Michael Caine and Chris Plummer wearing in 1969's 'Battle of Britain." Right down to the boots, with the wedge, and wooly sweater. Summer dress was a blue oxford with black tie. Only difference is that today, in lieu of itchy wool, the air cadet uniforms are made of poly/cotton, which don't hold a crease worth a damn, no matter how much starch you put in them.

I was lucky in that I managed to get issued an older, regular cotton tunic and trousers, which were phased out when I first joined at 12. But you know how it is, when one uniform gets phased out, they keep issuing them until they fall apart, and that's when the poly/cotton ones came in. The plus side was that when I gradded (just over a year ago) my CO let me keep my old uniform, because by then, no-one else was wearing the old ones.

Heh, I still have mah boots too!

A.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
If you want to keep a crease in your kit, use soap or glue stick along the crease!
Iron everything ,carefully, then go along the crease with soap/glue and press again.
We used to use soap on lightweights and shirts, and pritstick(gluestick) on jumpers, I still have creases in my wooly pully from '99!

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
quote I was just curious if the sweaters were combat dress, or if they were relegated to garrison wear, but seems this thread has taken a different direction.

Now to be fair we did give you the answer before we began filling sand bags and swinging the lamp :D :rolleyes:

A point which may interest you is that they where issue to the whole Army. The Navy , Airforce and coastgaurd had them but in their own colours. The fire service had a V kneck version. ;)

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Goose said:
If you want to keep a crease in your kit, use soap or glue stick along the crease!
Iron everything ,carefully, then go along the crease with soap/glue and press again.
We used to use soap on lightweights and shirts, and pritstick(gluestick) on jumpers, I still have creases in my wooly pully from '99!

Who here won't let their other half do their ironing still? Have to leave the house when mine (rarely) insists on doing it - I just can't bear to watch wonky creases and unpressed collars and that gut-wrenching fear of failing kit inspection comes flooding back... swear I can hear the RSM's boots approaching :eek:

Mostly back on thread briefly, norgies and smock are first choice... when I was about 7 my old man gave me one of his wooly pullies that mum had shrunk. I thought the itching was a punishment for something I'd done but not owned up to. Hated them frm that day on lol

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Well, they were still wearing them in the field when I was in the army. Only I was in a different army and we didn't have anything like it. I was in the US Army and greatly coveted berets, jerseys, blancoed web belts and all those beautiful cap badges, flashes, hackles, stable belts and all the other dingbats the British had. I don't think even the Canadians had half as much. I tried for years to get my hands on a jersey, finally succeeding around 1975. Only a few years later the US Marines adopted it and they were available everywhere.

I have even owned a KF shirt. I, uh, outgrew it. I have several pairs of puttees that I wear with my Boots, CWW, and Boots, DMS, but I don't generally blouse my trousers anymore.

For some reason, normal civilian wool sweaters (pullovers) are very scarce on the ground around here but the well known Yuppie outfitter, L.L.Bean sells genuine British made heavy wool sweaters in various woodsy shades of brown and green (but not plain olive green), complete with shoulder and elbow patches. German army pullovers are also easy to find in surplus stores but they are not pure wool and are prone to pilling. I don't think they wear them in the field either.

To speak to the original question, I have not seen one in any recent photo of British troops but I recall a photo of a soldier, a pioneer I believe, wearing a leather jerkin over his DPM combat dress. I do not have a leather jerkin, in case you were wondering.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Blue Train, taking your comment a bit further, I saw on TV last night footage of US Airborne troops in New Orleans (I think it was the 82nd). They were wearing maroon berets bearing an uncanny resemblance to those worn by our Parachute Regiment. Are the US forces nicking our uniform ideas? The reverse happens now, as barrack dress is a rare sight as most soldiers on base are dressed in BDUs.

Best wishes

Bruce

They have been wearing the maroon beret for quite some time nowand the rangers wear the sandy beret which looks alot like our Hereford boys.

Bluetrain, those jerkins you saw are for when your working with dannet coils of barbed wire.(stops you ripping your smock).

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
stotRE said:
They have been wearing the maroon beret for quite some time nowand the rangers wear the sandy beret which looks alot like our Hereford boys.

Bluetrain, those jerkins you saw are for when your working with dannet coils of barbed wire.(stops you ripping your smock).

Do you suppose the leather jerkins I referred to were original WWII type garments? Or something else?

Yes, the US Army is picking up the beret fashion from the British, who picked it up from the French. Long before the army went into khaki and olive drab, the US Army was also copying things from the French, and in some cases, importing French manufactured uniforms, mainly the Zouave pattern uniforms. The actual French units that wore such things were still wearing them, virtually unchanged, in 1939. The single unform item that the (American) Civil War soldier is so identified with, the kepi, is pure French. The French Alpine troopers that inspired the Royal Tank Corps (as it was then) to adopt the black beret still wear the same headdress in exactly the same way it was worn one hundred years ago (large and floppy). I can't think of anything in the US Army outside of West Point that is still the same as it was that long ago, uniform-wise, except perhaps for the dress belt and saber, which are not mentioned in the uniform regulations.

Which has nothing to do with Bushcraft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE