Woolen undies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Hi all, I recently found this site http://www.wool-underwear.com an Australian site selling merino wool underwear at great prices, I ordered a couple pairs of boxers and a T-shirt.

Just thought I'd share my discovery.

Also the merino wool underwear that Silvermans now sells (under Ron Hill clothing) in their catalogue, is first rate and not too bad in price, for Silvermans anyway.

Will

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
When I used to work outside all year round I wore grey wool longjohns in winter as they were the warmest even when wet. Still wear them in my winter camping/hunting. I also wear wool pants that we call "laine d'habitant" literaly mean wool of the farmer pants, you can pour water on them and it will just roll and bed off.
Canadian supplier Standfields = good quality
CG :yo:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Well, my understanding of wool fabrics versus synthetics is this that they each fall under the same category as insulating fabrics, but they each share their own unique traits.

Wool itself retains a little more of it's loft, and consequently it's warmth factor when wet. Synthetic insulations such as Helly Hansen Fibre Pile and HyperLoft used in sleeping bags tend to matt down a little when damp. (But not at all like cotton)

On the other hand, wool takes much longer to dry out, and synthetics regains their original dry factor much quicker, which makes them lighter weight.

New age wool, such as Merino is from a "super sheep" and the individual fibres are of a much longer staple, which makes them much softer than their predecessors.

Now, in terms of wicking and moisture transfer it is a completely different story. Wicking itself refers to a fabric's ability to "suck" vapour off of your skin, keeping you dry. Wool is able to do this because of the structures of the actual fibre, it is able to absorb up to 30% of it's weight in water and still feel dry to the touch.

MVT (moisture vapour transfer) is inherent to synthetics. Because they are essentially plastic, they do not actually pick up water vapour. Instead, heat from a hard working body literally drives vapour away, through the fabric, and disperse it to the outside air. This is why synthetic fabrics feel clammy when damp, because they actually move moisture away from your body at a much higher rate than wool.

I personally do not think that any one fabric is perfect for all situations, even though most of the big gear manufacturers say theirs is better. Companies like Gore-Tex even go so far as to design biased laboratory tests against their competitors to gain a larger share of the market.

One must use common sense as to what they will wear in what situation. I like wool in cold weather, in fact I'm wearing an army "wooly pully" sweater right now, because we had a bit of snow last night.

Whew...long post!

Just my $0.02 cents.

Adam

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I'd like to recommend Windsor Wear woolens, though they only make underwear as far as I know. It is Canadian made and they should know cold. There is in their line a superfine and lightweight set of long johns, separate top and bottom, that feels positively silky.

I am also a fan of Pendleton woolen shirts, now that they are washable. Again I like the lighter ones, though not the very thin ones (which aren't washable).

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Just had to post a reply to exclaim my supprise at my origional post being replied to after over 2 years! :eek: :)
Anyway if you're interested the boxers are still going strong :p and good for winter bushcrafting. But I still use Lowe Alpine dryflo for hill and mountain.
Oh and the T shirt is very good but has gained a couple of holes over the years.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
That's a really good point, Stickie. That principle is why wool doesn't feel clammy like synthetics do when damp. It's also why they are much slower to dry out.

Like I said in my huge post earlier in this thread, sometimes gear is a tradeoff, but sometimes different fabrics overlap into the same category, and it's up to the outdoorsman to choose what he/she feels is best for them.

On a lighter note, I'm deep in thought, because on my campus yesterday afternoon, there was a propetier with a clothing stand set up in our cafeteria (it was snowing and cold) and she was selling 100% wool sweaters, hand woven in Nepal for $56 dollars. I felt one of them, the wool is itchy as hell, but it's greasy, so I know the lanolin hasn't been washed out during the weaving process. That means the sweaters will be very water repellent.

I'm sitting here with my morning coffee contemplating whether or not to fork out the cash for one or not.

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE