Woolen blanket Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yohny

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2005
Thanet, Kent
Wow, what a forum! Asked for info on making a jacket out of a woolen blanket. Got some ideas & then Outdoor Girl (ODG) offered to send me a pattern as she had made them before for people. I enquired after the possibility of her making me one & she agreed. Her "labour rates" were extremely low & the jacket she made for is absolutely brilliant! I've seen swanni jackets & this is on par with them. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics I'll post it, but just wanted to let people know what a star ODG is & how pleased I am with the jacket. Roll on the cold weather!

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Thanks to Yohny for his warm words - although I think his blanket jacket will keep him very much warmer! :) The blanket he bought was very good quality, very thick, with no holes or worn patches. It was dark grey with a dark blue stripe running through it - which made it fun making sure that the pattern pieces were oriented properly! :)

I made it 'oversize' to allow Yohny to wear other (potentially bulky) clothes beneath it, or to allow for some freedom of air while working. The neckline has 3 buttons, so Yohny can open or close the neckline according the heat levels at the time.

I'm glad that he liked it and that it fitted! :)

Paganwolf - I'd be happy to help you out. If you have a blanket I can use that, or if not I usually have stock of wool fabric at home although it's more expensive that way as the fabric is new and usually costs £5-£8 per metre. Most people need between 2 and 2.5 metres of fabric for a jacket like Yohny's (which includes a hood) - sometimes there's enough in a blanket to also include an external pocket either on the breast or across the stomach, if you wanted. (If you have a BCUK badge I'll even sew that on for you!) ;)

I'll try to put together a worksheet for making up your own pattern, as it's almost all straight edges, and very simple machine stitching. You could even sew it by hand, but it would take much longer... :p

(Also, depending on the thickness of your blanket / fabric, you may have trouble using a domestic sewing machine...)

Apologies for the late reply on this thread - busy, busy, busy.... :)

ODG

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
outdoorgirl said:
I'll try to put together a worksheet for making up your own pattern, as it's almost all straight edges, and very simple machine stitching. You could even sew it by hand, but it would take much longer... :p

(

ODG

Oh yes please!
Or can I send you money to mail me a copy of the pattern?
I finally found someone who owes me lots of hours for all the stuff I made for him and who can sew! :)
cheers
Alex

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I will try and get the worksheet done this weekend, as I am being left home alone (well, me and the dog) while hubby goes off for a fun weekend in wet and wild Bromsgrove... :D

I could make pattern copies, but since I have to copy them manually, it's quicker to do a worksheet so that you can mark out your own... If anyone still wants a pattern after that, I'll make one up for them, but you'll have to be patient with me as I'm often away on business...

Yohny's piccies are a little blurred, and I just have one of it on a hanger, but here's what I got...

On hanger

On Yohny!

Another On Yohny

ODG

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
that looks great, very inspiring! I've always liked the look of swanndri stuff but i love the idea of recycling a woollen blanket and it looks every bit as good!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I like the look of that jacket, very nice. I made one recently but lacked the skills (or material ) for the hood.

I'd recommend anyone to get and old wool blanket and have a go themselves.
Learning to use a sewing machine is just another skill that can help if you like maknig your own gear. I've ran up stuff sacs, tool rolls etc from old bits of cloth

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Sorry chaps - still working on the pattern / worksheet, as I've been very busy lately. I also discovered that while I think it's easy to do, explaining all the little things that I just do as a matter of course is actually quite hard when you try and write them down! :)

What I may do is try and do a photo-tutorial over the next couple of weeks, as I think that might be easier.

I'll get it done somehow! :)

ODG

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nemisis said:
Anyone got plans for bushcraft sewing machine? maybe an oak base? lol

Most of my costume is made using and old hand cranked "Jones" sewing machine.

It's strong enough to sew leather and thick blankets, has a wooden base and case, will probably out live me and needs no electrickery.

How bushcraft is that?

BTW. it cost less than a fiver at a boot sale...... :D

Aug 8, 2011
South Africa
Hi

I am a brand new member of Bushcraft so i am not sure how everything works . I typed in Woolen Blanket Jacket into google and some how
came through to Bushcraft UK .
Please can you help me with the same pattern that was sent to you from ODg , if you have the pictures , it would be great to see what they would look like .

Kind regards.

Gerard

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
this is a pretty old thread mate not sure all parties are still on here

I'd have another look on the forum for something a little more recent

failing that there are loads of threads on bushcraftusa on blanket anoraks,smocks and shirts that also include patterns

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi Gerard ,

I've made 2 wool blanket smock/coat for myself , search the thread for mk2 blanket smock.

Cheers Topknot

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....failing that there are loads of threads on bushcraftusa on blanket anoraks,smocks and shirts that also include patterns

...I've made 2 wool blanket smock/coat for myself , search the thread for mk2 blanket smock.....

these two sources are what i used when researching my smock, there's a great pattern and tutorial on bushcraftUSA (i think the guy's called edispilff) for a basic design and topknot has some great ideas for the finish and general look of the thing. there's masses of info on this out there on the web, mainly on various forums, but i'd save youself the trouble of searching because IMHO you've already got the cream of the crop in those two suggestions.

good luck with the project, be sure to let us know how you get on

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE