Wool coat/shirt/jacket advice..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
That sounds good, I'm guessing the open front bushshirt by bison is the same thickness then, I was assuming it was more like a jacket than the closed front type! I'd say with a swede field jacket and a bison shirt will make for a rather warm night around the fire!

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
It's all relative. The bison looks good and I checked it out a couple of years back, but no use to me on account of the regular sizing and resulting midget-esque sleeve length. My Pendletons I wear as actual everyday shirts in winter at work or leisure, my olive tartan patterned one looks great under my smart tweed evil auditors jacket I wear for work, a little landed gentry perhaps but I don't do suits.

The swedish coat looks great, just ordered one myself for £20 delivered, thanks for that guys :) Won't be wearing it for work but it looks a great bourroching around jacket, the back pockets will have to go mind, I have my teuchter-chic to consider ;)

Whatever you choose will be great, wool is the way ahead, all the best with the search

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
It's all relative. The bison looks good and I checked it out a couple of years back, but no use to me on account of the regular sizing and resulting midget-esque sleeve length. My Pendletons I wear as actual everyday shirts in winter at work or leisure, my olive tartan patterned one looks great under my smart tweed evil auditors jacket I wear for work, a little landed gentry perhaps but I don't do suits.

The swedish coat looks great, just ordered one myself for £20 delivered, thanks for that guys :) Won't be wearing it for work but it looks a great bourroching around jacket, the back pockets will have to go mind, I have my teuchter-chic to consider ;)

Whatever you choose will be great, wool is the way ahead, all the best with the search

We actually make our sleeves 2" longer than UK standard pattern blocks. This allows your cuffs to stay where they are when your arms move.
No way would our sleeves be considered midget-seque.
Roger

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
We actually make our sleeves 2" longer than UK standard pattern blocks. This allows your cuffs to stay where they are when your arms move.
No way would our sleeves be considered midget-seque.
Roger

Nice one Rodger, glad to hear it :D

Midget-eque wasn't aimed at your product per se, rather the general rather limited "regular" cut available in the UK, which are, from my point of view and to my endless frustration; midget-eque, UK clothes get wider as size increases, not taller. I have the same issue with footwear and trousers, with 33" leg? I had a 33" inside leg when I was 12.

When I looked into the Bison shirt a couple of years back I considered it more than a contender. The " extra 2" " in the sleeve information wasn't to the fore at that time, otherwise I'd be sitting in one right now. As it was I continued buying woolen shirts from the states.....

Anyway good to know, my Bison order will have to wait until December now as I'm all spent for this and next month ;)

Edit, just to add; Roger, I've just had a quick look and the 2" info isn't there, also there's no leg measurement info there either, for the trousers. Someone like me won't entertain an online purchase without that info, the news that your shirts are 2" longer in the sleeve has rekindled my interest so if I were you I'd add that information to the page.

Bought a couple of pairs of socks though :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Love my Bisons, thought long and hard on the price - was not at all disapointed - now if they'd only make a hoodie

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
For quality and value for money the Swedish army jacket is hard to beat. Tough, practical, well made and widely available.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
That sounds good, I'm guessing the open front bushshirt by bison is the same thickness then, I was assuming it was more like a jacket than the closed front type! I'd say with a swede field jacket and a bison shirt will make for a rather warm night around the fire!

Those two together , with a base layer under would see you down to minus double figures pal ( has done so for me! )
( get yer 'Swedish' on the large side then buddy! )

Best.

Chris.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
indeed used to own one - rather heavy though - asked about a wool one - they said watch this space - but that was a while back...

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Maybe I should have bought a load of those Swedish jackets and flogged them on here.

Glad to be of service, though!

FYI, I found that the buttons don't go quite far down enough at the front for when it is cold and windy. I've added a big press-stud lower down and it works well.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Can I vote for all of the above?

I have several Pendletons but they seem to be reserved for dressier occasions. For the woods, I generally prefer a thick sweater with something thin over it. But I still have a collection of heavy (heavier than Pendleton) wool shirts. It used to be that Woolrich had the best selection of such things but people quit buying them when fleece came along and styles changed. So they mostly quit making them. They finally re-introduced some versions but naturally they aren't as good as the old stuff and they aren't made in Woolrich, Pennsylvania. They aren't made in the U.K. either. Beware, also, that the Pendleton shirts that Cabela's carries aren't the same that are available directly from Pendleton, although they aren't bad and they do come in talls. A few other retailers like L.L. Bean still carry heavy wool shirts but I don't know where they are made, only it isn't here.

I rather like the Swedish wool field jacket, only I'm not the size of a 1960 Swedish army recruit, nor am I the size of a 1964 U.S. Army recruit either, for that matter, although I was in 1964.

Anyone still wear a Norfolk jacket in "thorn-proof" tweed?

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I made a visit to a local mountain shop (REI) here in Virginia and was surprised to find they carried a number of thick wool shirts. They were all from places where the language isn't written the same way we write ours but the quality seemed fine and the color and styling is contempory, if that's at all important. The prices were $80 and up but so was virtually everything, from cotton shirts to fleece. My base year for prices is far in the past, I guess. Equally surprising, however, is that they had no sweaters at all. L.L. Bean. as I mentioned, carries heavy wool shirts and trousers, all in a wool-nylon blend, but not in the store nearest to me. No heavy wool sweaters, either.

This may not be the place to mention this but I just received a set of reproduction French lizard camouflage uniforms. They were from China. Now, I realize a lot of things that come from China are junk but there's a market for junk. We import junk now but we used to make it ourselves because there's always been a market for it. But this stuff, at $30 for jacket and trousers, is excellent and is in someways better than the originals, which I know because I have some. The snaps and zippers work better. Unfortunately, there's little outdoor gear from China that's worth having.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I'd like it to be well made, durable and under £100 and preferabley button up.

Is there a garment out there for me?

I have found some nice ones on here:http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/bison_bushcraft_outfitters.htm In particular I like the forester shirt.

Does anyone have experience with this clothing line..."

Another vote for Bison.

I have the 'Guide shirt' and will be picking up a spare shortly.

I usually wear it over a Woolpower 200gm top and that combination will keep me plenty warm in strong winds and very cold temperatures. Many folks don't like the 'Grandfather collar' however when occasionally put my Swanndri bushshirt on over it I find not having a proper collar makes the combination more comfortable.

If you (or anyone) need help choosing sizes I can post some sizing info if needed. :)

Edited to add:

I would describe the shirt as 'durable' however I have worn a small hole on one side where my usually quite heavy shoulder bag rubs against it day in day out.

hat.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE