Wool blankets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Does anyone camp out with just a wool blanket? I've got a Dutch army blanket that is very nice but I haven't taken it out to the woods before. I think it would be a tad small.

What blanket do you use? Are there any brands I should keep an eye out for?

Cheers
Andy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Any of the good quality "Witney" wool blankets are great, and there are a few very high-quality 100% wool ones with lovely Scottish labels on them, but these seem to have become rare finds. In the past two years I've picked up two 100% Merino double sized blankets with the "Jonelle" label on them (I think this is/was John Lewis own brand) and they really are of the highest quality and comfort......and Huge!!! IIRC, I paid six quid for the first and eight for the second; they weigh in at 2.2kg though, so not for the backpacking trips.

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
I use nothing but wool blankets due to the historical parameters I follow.

I go through them at a conservative rate, and they tend to last me quite a while. I go for the darker, more affordable military type blankets, as I have a problem putting an expensive one in the dirt ....or an antique one, for that matter :eek: :p .

I stay away from light-colored blankets. They draw attention.....from people and mosquitoes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE