Wool blanket question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi guys, I have been toying with getting a couple of wool blankets and trying a Daniel Boone type trip with minimal traditional gear.

I have seen plenty on evilbay and the like but not sure on quality or whether many are 100% wool or some type of mix.

Can anyone recommend what I should be looking for and even better a good source or retailer?

All the best, Hamster

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Hi Colin

Not a great deal of help to you I appreciate, but I sourced a very nice Dutch army blanket from Endicotts a while ago (seems they're out of stock right now, but worth keeping an eye on / looking for elsewhere. Endicotts are a great supplier BTW; no connection etc.)

Incidentally, I'm planning to go "Boone" myself; I'm off to Suffolk next month if you're interested (I'll be driving from New Malden).

Cheers,

Dave

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Try Charity Shops..I've scored three so far in the past couple of months at a cost of £!2 for the three without really looking to hard...One was huge, but i cut that one up for a bush shirt.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Wool blankets can be hit or miss buying online. I got an Endicotts Dutch army blanket a few years back and it is quite soft and great quality (been sold out for ages)! Then I bought a East European army blanket on eBay which was horrendously itchy and rough.
Best to keep an eye out when shopping, never had any luck around here in charity shops!

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Apparently witney blankets are meant to be pretty good, if you find one in a charity shop - depends on how much you go in and like to browse.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Another vote for Endicott's here. Kev really knows his stuff and is happy to advise if you give them a call. Otherwise haunt the charity shops, with a bit of practice you can tell the difference between blankets that are mostly wool from those which are mostly acrylic by touch even if there isn't a label.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Put an ad on Freegle or freecycle or a wanted ad on Gumtree.... I got 11 good blankets, from a house where the Mother was going in a home......HUGE place..the kids were dumping a load of good stuff in a skip.... I woulda took half of it home except the Wife woulda killed me and I aint got the room in a 1 bed bungalow.
The Blankets all wool. 2 brown, the rest white, with blue stripe or cream and a maroon one.
8 doubles 3 singles.

its worth a go, trust me on that one!

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
As has said already above Wool Blankets on e bay can be hit or miss, best to try to source localy, ask at your local Charity shops leave your number with them.

And of course you'd be welcome to come and do the Boone with the Suffolk Mob,

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks all I will keep my eyes peeled and check out some of that charity shops.
I'm not sure I am going to be able to get to the Suffolk meet but the Boone thread was what got me thinking about getting back to basics.

Dave, thanks for the kind offer if circumstances change I will drop you a line.

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Have maybe been lucky but the cheap Dutch military wool blankets I have bought from ebay have been fine. I am sure they probably haven't been 100% wool but they have been toasty warm and done the job regardless. If itchy put something in-between you and the blanket. Heard good things about those described as Italian Army Officers blankets but haven't bought one. Have never purchased anything from Endicotts but have heard nothing but praise about them too. Love hammock camping with wool blankets - I find it works really well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE