Wool and windproof - possibly stupid question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have been looking at getting a Swanndri ranger extreme since it offers protection against wind chill and wet as well as the cold BUT - am I right in thinking that, perhaps, a wooly jumper/shirt with a windproof over the top would be more effective? Seems to me having the windproof/waterproof stuff on the inside defeats the purpose.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I have been looking at getting a Swanndri ranger extreme since it offers protection against wind chill and wet as well as the cold BUT - am I right in thinking that, perhaps, a wooly jumper/shirt with a windproof over the top would be more effective? Seems to me having the windproof/waterproof stuff on the inside defeats the purpose.

Never Used a Swanndri, But it IS possible to make "wooley stuff" water "resistant". by treating it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have the extreme and I think it works well in the wind. It`s a little bit rustley but other than that I can`t fault it.
Not sure about the wet bit as I`d have something like a ventile over the top in the rain.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Thanks. I've just found the thread on the Bison Bushcraft Guide shirt which looks good - possibly combined with an arktis windshirt.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
cost and trends have changed the military way of doing things but it used to be wool shirt, wool jumper then cotton jacket. worked fine if a little itchy on the shirt front as we reckoned they put rockwool in with sheepswool and green dye.

winter training we were allways taught if necessary to take the shirt off and put over the jumper to provide greater loft and wind resistance.

allways wary of the weather resistance as wool does get wet so waiting till it fails before putting another layer on top does seem a bit daft.

I spent a weekend in howling winds with a cotton t shirt under a wool jumper and windproof top and was warmer than the previous weekend when I was similarly dressed in a fleece instead and the same weather conditions. I've noticed similar results when biking long distances.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Got a windproof fleece, it is almost unwearable due to starting to sweat straight away. You have to wear wicking stuff with it.

Prefer the three item option - Wicking T shirt, heavy weight(not windproof) fleece, and waterproof Anarak. Between the three it seems to work well. I am thinking about making a sort of smock style fleece to go with a rain cape, or poncho.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I remember being told by a Millet's salesman that you needed to wear all their garments in layers for them to work properly. I asked him why farmers, foresters and game keepers didn't and he didn't really have an answer so got irritated. Obviously he had an interest but he did genuinely believ the rubbish he was spouting that traditional materials were inferior and a weekend's walking was a tougher test than day in day out wear over the year.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
i think seperate garments are the way to go, rather than windproof fleeces or swannis, have a lightweight windproof that fits over a normal fleece or swanni, cos then at least you can chop and change as conditions dictate

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Money spent.

Thanks for the advice.

I've gone for a Bison Bushcraft guide shirt - after reading an excellent review and comments on this site - and a marmot windshirt in two shades of green.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Been reading about Guernsey jumpers lately. They've been used for centuries by fishermen and are treated with extra oil and have a tight knit (somewhat like ventile), so they 'shed' some water and wind relative to your other jumpers. My friend has one and was always wearing it about town in drizzle and his cotton shirt remained dry underneath.

http://www.jumper.guernsey.gg/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE