woodpigion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 17, 2005
how do you catch without an airrifle a woodpigion people say it tasts ok so i would like to try their are loads in the woods near me, also how do you clean it ready for the pot and any recipie ideas

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
There are methods,
None of which are guaranteed successful.

I want to wait till the mods have moved this thread to the "Fair Game" section before upsetting those who would rather not stumble across this type of information, before answering completely.
If it doesn't get moved I'll PM.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
You're wuite right Ogri, there are various ways. ;)
But, you need to be aware of the law because several/ a lot of them are not legal in the UK.

Knowledge of them is fine but putting them into practice is a no-no.

Cheers

Mark

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Buckshot said:
You're wuite right Ogri, there are various ways. ;)
But, you need to be aware of the law because several/ a lot of them are not legal in the UK.

Knowledge of them is fine but putting them into practice is a no-no.

Cheers

Mark

How about a cat?

You don't need to train the cat to catch the pigeons, you're not encouraging the cat to hunt so you're not liable for any birds it takes.

The cat brings you the pigeons as presents.

Or how about birdlime smeared on a roosting post? For the sake of academic research...
http://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1106&hl=en&q=birdlime&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Keith.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Clive,
Right now that we're somewhat out of view.
Buckshot is right in what he says, and I must reiterate his words, knowledge and implimentation are two different things - be aware of the law.
There's the old poachers favourite of threading peas onto a long length of cotton and placed where they'll start eating them in a line, (tie the end to something heavy) - the cotton gets tangled in the crop and you can just walk along and pick them up.
Corn or wheat soaked in whiskey is supposed to get them roaring drunk and unable to fly - but I've never seen it work.
Strong glue on their roosting perches is also supposed to work.
Next in line would be the many types of trap that are written about in many books, so I won't repeat them here.

As to preperation, I'll have a look for a web link later on, but for now, its easier to skin rather than pluck them and just cut away the two breast steaks.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ps, why not use an air-rifle? Though they have to be one of the warriest prey birds there is!

May 17, 2005
rifels are not recomended as a trip to the local poky will ensure
i`ll give feeding them with the cotton attatchment cheers for the help

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Lurch said:
Hmmm. Sounds to me like you are poaching?
Hope not.

I hope he's not doing anything illegal, too. I just included information about birdlime for the sake of academic research.

What's the proper definition of poaching?

Is it true that pigeons are considered vermin? My uncle used to go shooting, and for a while had a five shot repeating shotgun, which he said could only be used for vermin like pigeons and rabbits.

This was about twenty years ago. He got rid of all his gear when his back and shoulder problems made shooting too painfull.

Keith.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Keith_Beef said:
I hope he's not doing anything illegal, too. I just included information about birdlime for the sake of academic research.

What's the proper definition of poaching?

Is it true that pigeons are considered vermin? My uncle used to go shooting, and for a while had a five shot repeating shotgun, which he said could only be used for vermin like pigeons and rabbits.

This was about twenty years ago. He got rid of all his gear when his back and shoulder problems made shooting too painfull.

Keith.
Even taking vermin without permission is poaching I think.

You're right about the hich cap shotguns to a degree. We have some strange laws here.
When you apply for a license to hold shotgun with a capacity of more than 3 shots it has to be on a Firearms certificate, even though we have shotgun certs as well. I think I'm right in saying they can only be issued to control winged pests. If you put down rabbit control on the application strictly speaking they should not be issued because that was not quoted in the legislation as a reasonable excuse to have one. Once you have them you can then use it to control rabbits though !
I went to a BASC organised Gamekeepers' day a while ago and we had a lecture from the forces' head of FAC department who told us that .
I think it was that way round but I will stand corrected...
Strange but true.

Cheers

Mark

Apr 29, 2005
Hampshire
I occasionally take pidgeons from an English Heritage fort with an air-rifle, necessary since there seems to be a never ending supply of them and their guano is damaging to buildings.

Even with an air-rifle its not the easiest job in the world, especially since their favorite nesting places are right above a moat.....

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
C_Claycomb said:
You chaps are thinking about this all wrong. You will never make any real progress picking birds off one at a time. What you need is......Rocket Netting :D
http://www.wildlifematerials.com/downloads/Instructions_Rocket_Net_Capture.pdf

Sorry, way off topic and probably illegal here, but I found the idea of netting a whole pigeon flock in one go rather amusing :rolleyes:

I thought this was regularly used to catch and ring a whole flock for scientific porpoises...

Keith.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Further to Buckshot's comments regarding hi-cap shotguns:

The official parlance is a multishot smooth bore gun. They are only generally issued for purposes of vermin (which must be justified as to why an ordinary shotty is not enough) and for Practical Shotgun.
Once you have the justification for one though you can use it for any purpose you would use a shotgun provided that the purpose is listed on your FAC as a condition.
I've got a slot for a multishot, but haven't got around to filling it yet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE