Woodlands...first to leaf?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Ok chaps,

It is that time of year where the woodlands start to show growth activity, the woodlands are starting to come back to life after the winter. Of course they never sleep and this process has being going on for many months without anyone knowning and it starts just before Christmas :burnout:

I love this time of year in our ancient woods and down here in the south you will see the following plants coming out in leaf way before anything else;

Honeysuckle
Hawthorn
Elder

Once I have seen these guys coming out in leaf then I know that Spring is well and truely on its way.

What is first to leaf in your local woodlands?

Cheers.

Jack.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was thinking the same thing today :) Blackcurrants and gooseberries are already open buds and leaves beginning. Lilac, elder, wild rose, gean and honeysuckle are all sprouting growing leaves, but the hawthorn is just round buds as yet. Strawberries are full of new leaves and the garden is full of flowers from spring bulbs, heather and lungwort.
It's been a good day :D

Cheers,
Toddy

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
A way of predicting the summer weather on the order of the leaves appearing on the trees (haven't tested it though, no oaks where I live):

Eik før ask gir plask (oak before ash gives rain)
Ask før eik gir steik (ash before oak gives sun)

Another (though off topic) about predicting the amount of snow in the winter (seems to be right):

Lots of berries on the rowan tree gives little snow in the winter (since the rowan doesn't carry double load).

Still a while, before there will be any leaves here.

Torjus Gaaren

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
The hawthorns are now bursting into lovely fresh green leaves, buds are developing on most of the others.

Mark

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Jack said:
Ok chaps,

It is that time of year where the woodlands start to show growth activity, the woodlands are starting to come back to life after the winter. Of course they never sleep and this process has being going on for many months without anyone knowning and it starts just before Christmas :burnout:

I love this time of year in our ancient woods and down here in the south you will see the following plants coming out in leaf way before anything else;

Honeysuckle
Hawthorn
Elder

Once I have seen these guys coming out in leaf then I know that Spring is well and truely on its way.

What is first to leaf in your local woodlands?

Cheers.

Jack.

Alder brush (wonder if that is similar to your "elder?").

PG

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
torjusg said:
A way of predicting the summer weather on the order of the leaves appearing on the trees (haven't tested it though, no oaks where I live):

Over here we say -Ash before oak,We're in for a soak.
Oak before ash,We're in for a splash.

Ask før eik blir steik
og eik før ask blir plask

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Toddy said:
Our elder is Sambuccus niger;
http://www.first-nature.com/trees/sambucus_nigra.htmit produces plate sized heads of tiny scented sweet flowers followed by dark purple coloured berries. Alder, Alnus glutinosa, grows well wet, cut the bark and it will quickly turn red. The alder produces catkins
http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/forest/species/alder.html

Chers,
Toddy

"cut the bark and it will quickly turn red." sounds familiar. Our alder brush does the same. I don't know what "catkins" are, but the alder brush has some funny little clusters on the limbs, that get stiff and become a nuisance when traveling through alder in late fall and winter.

PG

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have a look at the alder link I posted; there's good photo of the catkins about half way down the page.

Cheers,
Toddy

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
the blackthorn has been in blossom here for a week now, and isn't holly an evergreen?

M

Mooney

QDanT said:
torjusg said:

Over here we say -Ash before oak,We're in for a soak.
Oak before ash,We're in for a splash.

Ask før eik blir steik
og eik før ask blir plask

Can anyone remeber which was first this year? i was sure it was ash but with the the weather at the moment :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE