Woodland walk - some ID questions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello. I was on a woodland walk and a few species caught my eye which I don't think I've seen before.

Might this be a gorse bush? The name just popped into my mind as I recognised the flowers.

6rktNrk.jpg

And what tree might this be? I don't know my conifers that well. I know Scots Pine and the names of many, however I haven't identified them. Here are photos of the general shape, the bark and the foliage.

2QBluWZ.jpg

I'm aware of the names of fungi, but I haven't started identifying them yet. I thought this was very nice to see as this tree was absolutely covered. Light brown underside and black on top.

qp5zaUm.jpg

And lastly, when I was walking back I spotted this as it was quite unique. Perhaps it grows near water as there were a few streams near where they stood. I don't really have a reference point for this plant and so can't guess at a name.

8X0LNQi.jpg

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
1, yes Gorse
2, Possibly Douglas fir
3, no idea, mycology is not my strong point.
4, Wood spurge

Thanks very much for your contribution. Good to know that I was right about the Gorse. Wood spurge however looks quite different on the Wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia_amygdaloides. Hm, strange, this picture in this link is accurate and it has the same name as Wood Spruge. http://www.easybloom.com/plantlibrary/plant/wood-spurge-1 There seems to be two different plants with the same name?

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Yup, gorse. My mother made gorse flower wine when I was a kid. Think she only did it once cos its a bit labour intensive picking the flowers but it was still nice all the same.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE