Wooden cup tutorial....Photo heavy...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
My god you make it look so easy!:)
Very nice job, I've got to ask though it looks pretty heavy duty so how heavy is it empty?

Cheers Greg....Just weighed it...8oz...Weighed an ordinary china mug of similar size and that was 12 oz...
It was easy to make though, and can be done with your usual 'kit' tools. Just make a block, and round off the sides, make the handle (mainly saw work) and the hardest bit, drill out the middle..Even ordinary hss drill bits could be used for this by drilling loads of holes and make the carving out easier. You could use a chisel, but be careful of the impact splitting the cup...Always draw pencil lines on your work to give you a mark to cut to.
I know by being a builder, I am used to working with my hands, but I do think most people of a practical mind could make one.....If they wanted to....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
very nice mate, wish i had the patience to make something like that. How long did it take you?

Thank you....I reckon about 7 to 8 hours to complete, but most of this time was spent sorting the middle. Next time will be a lot quicker...It sounds a lot of time to spend on something so small, but done bit of a time every evening, it doesn't take long....Beats watching telly anyday.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE