Wooden cup tutorial....Photo heavy...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I made a wooden cup and found it easy to make and didn't take too long either, so, if you fancy one for yourself, have a go....

Get a block of your chosen wood, I used cherry, cos thats what I have lying about..
Draw a side on view of the mug on it...
DSC04004Small.jpg

Cut the sides out....
DSC04005Small.jpg

Next I cut out the handle with a saw, and rounded the sides with an axe and then knife...
DSC04007Small.jpg

I then cut out the other sides next to the handle to make it cylindrical...
DSC04009Small.jpg

I draw a couple of circles on the top, to cut to....
DSC04010Small.jpg

I start to carve out the middle with my spoon knife...
DSC04011Small.jpg

That was taking a long time and didn't seem the best way, so I get the battery drill out and soon have most of the inside bit out...
DSC04013Small.jpg

The cup, almost there...
DSC04014Small2.jpg

Next job is to sand down the outside and finish carving out the inside. The outside is soon ready, but the inside takes a while to carve and sand smooth, but I get there in the end and on with the first coat of oil...
DSC04016Small.jpg

This was a very satisfying job....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Awesome !!

You make it look so easy ! but I think I`ll give it a bash on Sunday afternoon cause SWMBO `s out.

I have part of a huge walnut table leg which would do the job very nicely indeed.

Rich

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Nice tutorial John cheers!

I started a cup/mug a while ago but I just couldn't seem to get it right. Nice Finish on the Cherry as well!

Me thinks the next project is on the horizon. Don't worry I'll be sending SWMBO round to yours!!:AR15firin It's your fault!

Again nice tutorial!

Pib

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Tee Hee!!! It's mine, all mine...

Cheers Jon. Its got to be worth a few pints of the brew when its ready...

Catch ya tomorrow

R

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
i can unserstand why that must be satisfying! It looks beautifull!! The grain and colour of that wood is just beautiful! well done!! You are relly making some great stuff lately! Thanks, its a inspiration to me and im sure many other people too!

Jon:35:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jon that is, quite seriously, the nicest tankard I have ever seen - and I collect drinking cups! I have everything from an 1800s rowing trophy in pewter through horn, leather, steel, ceramic and glass. That is the nicest I have seen! The sunburst pattern in the wood is startlingly good

I am truly in awe and throughly green eyed!

Luck man Stovie and skilled man Jon!

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That is fantastic, the grain is amazing, looks like a small explosion! I can imagine people being scared to try, but I suppose a beaker would be the logical first step if you didn't want to try and incorporate a handle. Really nice job, I'm gonna have to find my expandable wood bit, that'll do the job nicely!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thank you for your kind remarks peeps....
Sally...It is getting a coat of oil a day and any excess wiped off after 15 minutes as per instructions. You are right, it will need a few coats more still...Job for you Stovie...
John....Mr Makita is very much a bushcraft tool as it is battery powered and so can be taken into the bush....;) I would of loved not to of used it, but I tell you, using a spoon knife to do all that is a killer on your hands and wrist. Next time I will use a hole cutter of the right size as most of the work was sorting out the inside and smoothing it down....
Spam...What are you like mate....? 8444, 8444d...?? Tis a battery drill... a good one though, and definetely a user....:D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My god you make it look so easy!:)
Very nice job, I've got to ask though it looks pretty heavy duty so how heavy is it empty?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE