Woodburner.....For me house!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all, just wondered if anybody on here could give me some info on a Multi fuel heating setup for my house. I have oil central heating but have room for a woodburner in my living room and the chimney works fine. I have been having a quick look online and have seen them range from £200 to £2000. Any things I should look out for? Hope someone can help, Tim.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I would ask the "Greenshop" near Bisley, just google Greenshop and you will get them. They do advice leaflets and give advice aswell as sales, so might be a good starting place...........

Oh and you will need your chimney lined in all probability and that can be pricey.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
The biggest one you can afford/fit in is generally the best. When it's cold in the house close the room door, when it's hot in the room open the door to heat the rest of the house. (We are talking 1 or 2C above the ambient temperature) A wood burner will NOT heat the entire house. A flat top preferably with hotplates is the best so you can boil a kettle. Go a little gucci and get one with an oven to to make it a "range".

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You will almost certainly need a liner and cowl - thats going to run you around £500. The thing must be installed by a HETAS qualified engineer (another hundred or so) plus you will need a top plate and hard pipe above the stove.

Its a pricey business installing one so worth getting one that will work well and last.

Look at Clearview, Willager and Esse as brands - they work well and last

Red

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Bear in mind if you're in a smokeless area too, we are and found that the only stove certified to burn seasoned wood that incorporates a boiler is a dunsley yorkshire. They're not cheap but made in England and we've found it very good, heats an early 1900 house with 9 rooms easily. Flue liners are not mandatory on houses built before a certain date but are generally recommended due to pourosity of the brickwork. Find a good hetas engineer for advice for a start.

bearbait

I have this Jotul stove in the lounge with a lined chimney, and one of these Esse range stoves in the Kitchen/Dining Room with two hotplates and an oven, going out through its own flue pipe. It really wacks out the heat - 8kW+ I believe - so much so that it can get uncomfortably warm cooking on it. You can get a boiler attachment for it (which I don't have). It's not the main cooker which is gas burners and electric ovens. I burn wood on both; never could get the hang of burning coal. The Esse is not a cheap stove. I got what I believed was a reasonable deal to get it delivered from an Esse dealer (in Bromyard I think), then I got a local heating engineer (who turned out to be excellent) to install it and the flue.

I'd recommend both stoves, but with a slight niggle on the Esse stove's hinges: they need readjusting periodically - a simple enough job.

I'd also recommend getting a stove with a glass door so you can watch the "telly". If you're not going for a pukka cooking stove try and get one with enough room so you can at least put a couple of pans on top to boil water or heat your stew through. I like multiple redundancy in these uncertain times.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Dont skimp on getting a quality flue lining, one piece continuous length of twin wall stainless steel with vermiculite infill. It greatly reduces condensation/tar build up, increases fuel efficiency and is safe. Mine has a 20 year guarantee on it. Gas fire flue isnt strong enough for the hotter temperatures generated. A house not 100 yards from here was gutted when their woodburner (going into a very old and porous lime mortared inglenook and chimney) leaked hot gases and ignited the thatch. Mine stove is Franco Belge, excellent make precision fit of parts and good door seals. The makes mentioned by British Red are good too. China-mart ones are not so good in that respect

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
If your chimney is ok then a s/steel flexi liner would be my recommendation, then infill between the flue and chimney with vermiculite.
You will need to work out the square meterage of the room, this will allow you to work out what output you need from the stove. There's no point in getting one that either underheats or overheats the room. If you don't have insulated walls or double glazing you might want to adjust your figures a bit.
If you want multi fuel make sure the stove is suitable, some are only ok for wood.
Do you want a back boiler? this would allow you to save a few bob on oil costs as you would heat your water when the stove is on. This would depend on the set up you have now of course.
Personally I would be wary of the cheaper models, some are fine but others, well, they might be more trouble than there worth.
At present we have 2 one of these........http://www.morsoe.co.uk/brændeovn-3.aspx?M=eCom_Catalog&PID=&ProductID=PROD173 and one of these, the G2 here.........http://www.fireplaces-oldham.co.uk/Austrofl.htm
If I was going to replace one or get another or may be one for the summer house I like the Windy Smithy ones............http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/html/woodburners.htm

There's loads of choice out there so it looks like you have a few hours/days to research :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE