Wood Sorrel I think.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ika a Whiro

I have some mates over from back home at the moment, and we got yakking to some guy in the pub about bush grub here in the UK.
He seemed to know what he was on about and told us about this plant called wood sorrel, don't think we get that back home, never seen it.

Well we went out with him that night, a bit screwy after a few pints and he showed us some plant.
We tasted it and liked it, the only problem is that we have had it almost every night since in salad and a couple of us are a bit crook now and are sure it is the bloody plant, can anyone help us, is the plant OK to eat, or have we been stitched up, if so I'm gonna kill the bloke!

I

ika a Whiro

Taste a bit like lemons but quite bitter, guys we has shed loads, just mixed it up with watercress and ate it with chicken, even had it in sarnies.

bit worried now eh?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Did you buy the watercress or forage it? If you foraged, how sure were you about the ID?

Red

I

ika a Whiro

British Red said:
Did you buy the watercress or forage it? If you foraged, how sure were you about the ID?

Red

No, the bloke showed us the water cress too.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm could be polluted water, could be a misidentified plant, could be too much wood sorrel.

If you are worried, I'd see your doctor!

Red

I

ika a Whiro

someones just told me about liver fluke, wat the hell is that?

I

ika a Whiro

Right, im real worried now, are you guys pulling my pisser.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
ika a Whiro said:
someones just told me about liver fluke, wat the hell is that?

It comes off water snails. It's a flat parasite that lives in your liver. Never eat water cress, if you have sheep near the site, as there is a VERY high risk of fluke.

John

I

ika a Whiro

Hunter_zero said:
It comes off water snails. It's a flat parasite that lives in your liver. Never eat water cress, if you have sheep near the site, as there is a VERY high risk of fluke.

John

I'm OK then bro.

There were only cows in the paddock.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
ika a Whiro said:
I'm OK then bro.

There were only cows in the paddock.

Sheep are often kept up hill from the cows, so they still contaminate the stream.

If you have overdone eating wood sorrel, you can drink milk and other calcium rich foods to see you right.

but if you have any other symptoms ....go to your doc..

I

ika a Whiro

xylaria said:
Sheep are often kept up hill from the cows, so they still contaminate the stream.

If you have overdone eating wood sorrel, you can drink milk and other calcium rich foods to see you right.

but if you have any other symptoms ....go to your doc..

I cant stand going to the quack, I'm sure I will be OK, whats the worse that can happen?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"Bright green leaf of the forest floor
you may eat three, but then no more.
Sharp and tang and bittersweet,
Eat with care, an occasional treat"

Children's *how to* for wood sorrel.

cheers,
Toddy

I

ika a Whiro

Im feeling a bit rough to be honest, and me mates aint too smart either!

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Toddy said:
"Bright green leaf of the forest floor
you may eat three, but then no more.
Sharp and tang and bittersweet,
Eat with care, an occasional treat"

Children's *how to* for wood sorrel.

cheers,
Toddy

Good one Toddy, I would love to remember this.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Best advice is as given by Xylaria.

It (oxalis) causes problems for the kidneys, so though you need liquid to help them function and clear out the oxalic acid and it's by products, don't give them any extra hassle. Lay off booze, coffee and the like.
If you feel any worse contact NHS24 and explain what you've been eating, your symptoms and ask their advce.

cheers,
Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE