Wood finishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Hello folks, I am finishing a handle on my Fire Steel, one of the many buyers from TMKTC's group buy( Top Man :You_Rock_ )
I am using Ebony, my first ever attempt, other then Spoons etc, and was just asking, what is the best finish? Yatch Varnish? Linseed oil? Mineral Oil? Any thoughts please folks? Many thanks, Andy...

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
When I've worked with ebony in the past I've found that the best finish is obtained by simply getting the wood as smooth as possible (1500 grit wet-n-dry does nicely) The grease from your skin as you handle it will then give it a wonderful depth of shine better than probably any commercial product would do. You can "cheat" and accelerate the polishing effect a little by rubbing in some of the grease from the skin at the corner of your nose if you want to as well.
The trick is to get it REALLY smooth before you add any polish or grease at all. ;)

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Everything that's been said and burnish it with a spare bit of ebony and a low residue oil.Olive if you are nervous about contaminating food or 3-in-1 or gunstock oil otherwise. Before any finish let the wood see the air. You may notice that when first cut it is brown and goes darker as it oxidises.

I'm doing a sghian dhub in ebony. A long term project...for when I have nothing else to do :lmao: As if....

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Hey, thanks guys, as always the answers are on here! Good to note about the oxidizing, have smoothed the piece fairly well, I think, and now down to using wire wool. Will post in the near future on how it's progressing, Thanks again everyone :You_Rock_ , Andy

Stan Pinn

Sep 16, 2006
Swindon
Hi there,
I just just thought I would add to your thread. You may have already finished your project. Always try and use products found in nature as they are the simplist to use and provide a lovely finish. Once you have the wood to the desired standard of sanding, work beeswax into the wood with wire wool. Polish off the excess with a lint free cloth and re-apply this time with your fingures. Again polish off with another clean cloth. repeat as required. Also after the wood has aged, you car rub it down with wire wool repeat the process and it will look good as new. It really brings out the colour of and wood.
Stan :)

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Stan, thanks for taking the time to reply! In fact thanks to all... Beeswaz eh? Will definately try this method. This little project is now sanded quite well, using wire wool, so I think it's ok. Going to get some wax, hopefully tomorow( Sunday),. once it's finished, I'll try and post some pictures. Thanks again, Andy..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE