Wood burner home made stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Nice job mate - the only thing to persuade my wife to sit outdoors as the temperatures begin to fall.......

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Very nice piece of work that.:cool: :D What holds the fire up? Do you know what the stainless tube was from originally looks like flue from a boiler? had alook at making one but out of aluminium not stainless hummmmm time to rethink

James

hyfan

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2004
Beds
James, Inside at the lower end of the stainless tube is a wire mesh tray(old stainless steel grill ) which rests on and is bolted to in two places to the four suporting leg plates. (the flat plate legs are turned over at right angles inside the tube and provide a resting place for the mesh tray.)This fuel/wood support grill is at a level the same as the lower end of the circumferencial vent slots. Yes your right I guess it was an old boiler flue.Cheers for all the positive feedback guys. Ivan :)

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Nice one Ivan - yup one of those things ive had in mind for a bit too. A cross between a kelly kettle and a trangia. Sounds like it works really well, and a nice finish to it. I lok forward to seeing it at a meetup.
Cheers
Rich

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Looks good Hyfan,
I've been meaning to make something similar as a winter caravan heater that I can burn broken pallets from work in, but it means constructing a chimnea and cutting holes in an already questionable roof.

ATB

Ogri the trog

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hi hyfan,

Good looking stove.

I have a question. Could we design and build a "blue flame" wood burning stove? A stove with a yellow flame is inefficient, produces carbon monoxide and soot. The essential difference is the amount of oxygen present and the completion of the burning or combustion. Design suggests a wood chamber below and a second chamber above to introduce more air (think of a bunsen burner at school).

See
http://www.repp.org/discussiongroups/resources/stoves/Reed/T1.htm
http://www.repp.org/discussiongroups/resources/stoves/Reed/T2.htm
http://listserv.repp.org/pipermail/stoves/1998-September/004635.html for a discussion of this.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
george said:
Yes

It's on my "to do list", I've gradually been gathering the parts for it

Same here and I figure that a Calor gas cylinder (with the top valve removed and filled with water then emptied to make sure there is no trace of gas left in it before attacking it with a grinder) should make a good basis for it as the steel is thick (ish).

Got a mate who made a wood burner out of a scrap propane bottle and he said that he spent a full minute going "Full bottle, empty bottle...Full bottle, empty bottle" to make sure before cutting into the empty propane bottle with his Oxy Propane cutter :D .

I have a couple of cast iron pans kicking around so they should help with the burner.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Nice work hyfan. Could you give us a rough idea of the dimensions?
What sort of things you might find in a scrap yard could be used to make a stove?

hyfan

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2004
Beds
Anthonyyyy.
The main tube is about 12 inches high. The four legs hold the lower rim of the tube about 1and half inches from ground. about 3inches up the tube is a mesh platform to place the wood. Cicumferential verticle slots to let in oxygen /air are positioned around the tube at the same level where the fire burns. The fire area accomodates about 3 and half to 4 inches of height in the tube. Just above fire area is a small grill to rest the billy on. Or a pan can sit directly on the top.
The dimensions that I used were to suit the scrap tube that I got from the scrap yard. The tube I used was stainless (which admitedly is a bit of an overkill as any sheet tube material will work) I would suggest if you find your local scrap metal merchants have a look or ask first if they have a stainless skip. Where you may be lucky enough to find an old stainless flue like I used. Be warned it is a real pain to work stainless and you will need to use a small angle grinder with a metal cutting disk fitted to make any cuts.
Hope this helps
I would suggest you experiment with dimensions. Best to just workout the size of fire you require then space the fire support and billy grill levels accordingly.
Good luck

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
rich59 said:
Hi hyfan,

Good looking stove.

I have a question. Could we design and build a "blue flame" wood burning stove? A stove with a yellow flame is inefficient, produces carbon monoxide and soot. The essential difference is the amount of oxygen present and the completion of the burning or combustion. Design suggests a wood chamber below and a second chamber above to introduce more air (think of a bunsen burner at school).

See
http://www.repp.org/discussiongroups/resources/stoves/Reed/T1.htm
http://www.repp.org/discussiongroups/resources/stoves/Reed/T2.htm
http://listserv.repp.org/pipermail/stoves/1998-September/004635.html for a discussion of this.

Inverted downdraght stove :confused: Is an inverted downdraght stove a bit like an updraght stove but has an overly complicated name ;)

It's an interesting link but personally I found it a bit heavy going.
Maybe I am just a thicko :)
Informative but badly written IMO

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I made an inverted downdraught gasifier from the designs in those links. I used domestics tin cans and paint cans. I think I used a wide fruit type can as the burner with a hole cut out the bottom and air controller. The secondry double walled gas mixer above was made from two cans, the outer with its end cut out.
The two top cans were separated using screws and the top section to bottom section also separated with screws.

It worked just perfick.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Unfortunatey no pictures, I havn't a digi camera. But a couple of pictures of some rusty tin cans probably wouldn't help much. I made mine up just based on the pictures in the first link on demographics post.
As I say it worked really well, and didn't take very long to make. The one I made was too bulky and insubstantial for regular use. The major advantage that it was designed for was that there was no smoke and so could be used inside.

I recommend trying it !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE