Wolves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Siecroz said:
This conversation fascinates me. I have been in love with the Grey wolf for years.. even did Course work on it for my final exam in Environmental Studies at School.

The Gray wolf, Siberian wolf, Timber wolf and white wolves all belong to the same Genus and Species (Canis Lupus). the Red Wolf (usually found further south) is Canis Rufus, and looks a bit like a Huge Fox.

the thing that I found fascinating about the wolf was just how much like my Dog they are. I did some studying into their behaviour... body language, posture, family/pack environment etc. then I look at my own dog (border Collie.. see the avatar). Watch a dog, and its the same as a Wolf...

when the Alpha is "Hot on the trail" on a hunt, as PG said, it will stop.. motionless, and the rest of the pack will do the same.. this is an Indication. Other dogs make this type of indication too.. Pointers for example (Red Setters, Dalmations etc.)... when they pick up a scent the y stop dead... lean slightly forward and there tail tends to point down and backwards..

My Collie and I (Canis) began training for SARDA (Search Dogs) when I lived in North Wales, and I picked up on a lot of things there too. The search teams use dogs over terrain in a similar manner and take advantage of their hunting ability.

Air scenting search dogs tend to work their way upwind in a zig zag fassion.. their whiskers are like pitot tubes on an aircraft and are incredibly sensitive to scent... channeling it into the nose and recognising strength and direction. When they pick up on a scent.. they Indicate it to their Handler, and thats what the search team relies on.

In Principle.. this body language is the same as the Wolf indicating the prey to the rest of the Pack.

When meeting a potential mate.. a wolf Bitch will react in one of two ways,... If she is receptive to the Dog wolf, she will tend to lie on her side showing the underneath of her throat, with her rear legs on the floor as in the "Present" position.. with her tail bent around her rump.

If unreceptive.. she will be defensive... ears well back, possibly snarling, head low.. back end lower, main flecked up. Similar to a Male about to fight.

And the final thing that amazed me about Wolves is that research has shown that they are one of few predators who mate for life (if another Alpha Male doesn't muscle in), and the Farther actually helps to rear the pups!!

Finally a message for Piere...

I AM SO ENVIOUS!!! :) I have never had the oportunity to see a wild wolf and probably never will. the closest I have ever been to a Wolf was this summer at a Safari park when one was on the bank 5 foot away from my passanger window.
good info thanks... :)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
jason01 said:
Its one of my ambitions to camp in a wood with wolves and to hear them howl at night. I have a friend in BC Canada/Nova Scotia and Ive asked him to look into finding out if there is someplace I could do this out there, when I get round to visiting him.

You are welcome to come here and listen to wolves while camped in the BWCA. Be glad to take you up there. I can pretty much guarentee you will hear wolves howl - though seeing them is much more problematic.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE