With axe and saw...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
...instead of a chainsaw.
I havent done any work with an axe for about two years because of lack of opportunity and bad health.
Recently, a friend of mine had to go up north to his parents house to look after his handicapped grandfather and invited me along for some biking, working in the garden, good cooking and plenty of booze.I managed to get a week off work and we loaded the car full with stuff for three persons plus bikes.
Needless to say, I took a couple of axes and my big japanese saw with me.
My choice of work was to cut down two rows of conifers to make room for other stuff to plant.
I wasnt that sure whether I could do it, lack of training and a somewhat restricted space for the trees to fall (there was a cemetery nearby) ,made me a bit nervous.

1708.07026.jpg

But with a rope to tug at I decided to give it a go. And it worked! Ok, the look of the stumps is nothing to write home about, but they fell more or less as they should.
Lessons learned:
A long and thin tree, when cut and tugged, will rest with its top against some neighbouring branches and simply jump 1m forward, but not fall due to a lack of mass.

Image00001.jpg

Also, no matter how you tug, if the cuts are botched, the tree will fall as it wants. Luckily, there was no visitor at bthe cemetery at this time.

Image00002.jpg

Once cut down, a tree was completely limbed. After five of them were laid down, I sawedt them down into manageable pieces of ca 2m each and called it a day, the hammock waiting for me. Of course for reasons of safety only, because after a couple of hours of swinging the axe I got tired and everyone knows what happens when you cant control the swing of your axe anymore.
After three days, I had done fifteen of them and created what looked like a far to small staple of wood, given the effort.

Image00004.jpg

But I liked the look of what I had done.

Image00005.jpg

And, much more important, my skills had progressed considerably. On the third day, I was able to lay down the trees much better and without a rope. Just by making good front and rear cuts they fell exactly between the rows, which for me is a great improvement.

Image00003.jpg

The last twelve trees were cut down later by my friend, with the help of a chainsaw, in very short time at all.
But since I did all this just for fun, the GB´s LFA and the "Big Boy" from Silky were all I needed.

1708.07053.jpg

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I think if I was swinging an axe continually for several hours my leg would look like one of those stumps!

One a serious note, I like your style oetzi. Doing things the hard way once in a while is good for you. It's easy to get de-skilled by doing stuff the easy way all teh time.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I recently felled 3 trees at the farm behind my parents house for the farmer using just my Silky, the only time I used the chainsaw was to cut the stump at the base. I gives you great satisfaction dosen't t it?.

Simon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE