WIP Axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Been so busy working on things that i should be making, that I've found myself a few distractions over the last couple of weeks :rolleyes: Amongst them, some Axes :D got a couple more awaiting heat treating too (hence the half finished ash handles in the picture). I've still got to finish the heads (waiting for a delivery of abrasives) and then finally fit them sometime next week with luck.

axestemp.jpg

the heads weigh about 550g, so a light hatchet :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
thanks folks :)

I've been trying to get those two and two others finished all week, but I've had power issues and haven't been able to work on the heads :( Well that and the lack of the abrasives to make them from 'utilitarian tool grade' to 'bushcrafter shiny' :lmao:

As for price, I haven't sat down and worked that one out yet I'm afraid. When I make something a bit different it takes longer than normal to make, so I can't give a fair assessment of hours spent and thus cost. Also as they are procrastination projects I've not kept a tally of hours taken. Will be mid to high double figures, but not triple figures (unless I make a really posh one with filework, pretty pretty handle and mosaic pins, etc :D )

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
thanks folks :)

I've been trying to get those two and two others finished all week, but I've had power issues and haven't been able to work on the heads :( Well that and the lack of the abrasives to make them from 'utilitarian tool grade' to 'bushcrafter shiny' :lmao:

As for price, I haven't sat down and worked that one out yet I'm afraid. When I make something a bit different it takes longer than normal to make, so I can't give a fair assessment of hours spent and thus cost. Also as they are procrastination projects I've not kept a tally of hours taken. Will be mid to high double figures, but not triple figures (unless I make a really posh one with filework, pretty pretty handle and mosaic pins, etc :D )
:D thanks for the info dave i look forward to seeing them finished ATB Phil;)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Well that and the lack of the abrasives to make them from 'utilitarian tool grade' to 'bushcrafter shiny' :lmao:

they look great! but i think you should have 'bushcrafter shiny' as an option. tools should look like tools not jewellery imo.

keep up the good work:)

pete

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Love to hear some more about how they are made Dave...

I confess to having to google a "fly press"....

What type of steel are they?

Lastly...is the trade axe looking one a friction fit or meant for a wedged helve? Be lovely to see a proper recreated trade axe.

Just keen to know more about the process really. I got fascinated with the pictures of Ceggas factory at work...Even as an axe lover, I know so little about different ways of making them

Red

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Red, the two main methods to forge an axe are the wrap-and-weld and the pierced bar.

The wrap-and-weld was commonly used for trade-axes and similar patterns. Basically you start with a bar of iron, say 6 x 30 x 200mm (1/4 x 1-1/4 x 8"). Get it hot and bend it around a 'mandrel' (a bar of iron roughly the shape you want the eye to be). Hammer-weld the two sides together, weld in a high-carbon steel 'bit' and forge the axe to the shape you want, then HT.
Example: http://www.vividlight.com/articles/3705.htm

The pierced-bar method was used by many early smiths, because it took a lot less effort to produce a solid bar of iron than a strip. Take a bar of iron, and pierce a hole for the eye. Use a punch to shape it to the size and shape you need. Add a steel bit if you need to, forge to shape and HT.
Example (starts after the bar is pierced and 'bumped up' to add more material): http://www.hawknknives.com/forging/_forging.shtml

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stunning Matt....just started me off for a day sat at a desk just right that did :)

Those examples of the two techniques really brought them to life for me...details like the inserting of a different steel for the bit really fascinate me...makes the craftsmanship show through!

I'm assuming these are pierced bar Dave?

Oh go on...one silly question....how do you pierce the bar? That link is great but doesn't show that step!

Red

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
The wrap around method is the fastest and least energetic method, but does require you to maker a good solid weld over a large area, so technically more difficult. If you make it from one piece of good steel then you don't need to put the separate bit in ;)

The punched eye method is harder work but is technically easier, and allows for more weight to be placed either side of the eye which of course aids balance and oompf without making the blade too long or thick :) Most pre-20th century axes had steel bits welded into the heads whether they were punched or folded, also it should be noted that not all folded axes look like trade hawks, alot of old axes were folded but have the same shapes as punched ones (a thick plate is welded to the middle of the strip, so when wrapped around it has a poll on it ;) and then the area where the eye is is thinned prior to welding, that gives a thicker bit and thin walled eye )

These axes are punched eyes. You can simply take a chisel and cut a slot down the middle of your bar, then force a shaped bar called a drift through it in order to stretch and shape the eye. The difficulty is slitting it straight and in the middle of the bar! So most people drill a row of holes in it first to act as a guide for the chisel ;) Unless you have a huge Press that is capable of pushing a chisel/drift combo straight through the bar of hot steel. :wow1:

With the viking axes that have the wide cheeks, you can weld extra bits to the side, cut some away either side of them or more usually, you keep the drift in place and then use your hammer to stretch the metal out in the direction that you want it to be wider (but also thinner). A certain amount of that goes on when trying to correct the centring of the eye if you punch through off-centre.

I have to confess that these axes were a bit of a cheat. I started with hammer heads and drifted the eye open to the correct shape and size by hand. That way I have a bar of steel that already has the eye in the middle and is straight :eek: I still have to get the drift (think a tapered point that is the cross section of the eye at it's thickest end) lined up properly otherwise the edge is really off centre when finished! The heads are made from 1055 modified, which is a medium carbon steel with some silicon in there as well. Gets glass hard in oil and tempers to a good edge for axes :) I use the flypress to draw out the steel more quickly than I can by hand, but I've also got a slitting/drift that I made up to use on virgin steel rather than using hammerheads, trouble is that I went and lost it somewhere before I got around to trying it :rolleyes: I'm in hte middle of a tidy up, so hopefully I'll find it soon

The heads that i have ready for handles are all fitted with wedges (or will be), but I have just finished a drift for making hawk-eyes so there is a trade axe with a hawk shape and fit waiting to be forged this week with luck :)

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's great Dave thanks :)

The info is fascinating to me just because ...to the uneducated...which I am when it comes to "iron torturing"...it makes things much more interesting when I know how it works.

I would never have the skill or patience to do it myself but I love to understand how its done!

Love to hear more about the friction fit trade axe as it comes on stream..its one that is missing from my collection and I'd love to have one made in an authentic way

Thanks all for the continuing education!

Red

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Awesome Dave, much prefer the industrial look though rather than polished, least thats what I did with mine...nothing to do with not being arsed with polishing and finishing at all :lol:

Rgds

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
You're right Si, I prefer straight from the forge as a finish (well you know that :D ). trouble is that without the right tooling set up the surfaces of my axes are a little rough and ready (basically to make the sides of the blade look similar and symmetrical it is easiest if you have a swage underneath to support bits as you forge and bend above. Sorry, easier to show than to describe :eek:

Then once I've ground every part of the axe to even things out I have to keep going until it's all uniform. I'm not going to do a silly polish on them don't worry! At the moment they are finished in the swirly motion of a flapdisk on the angle grinder. I've got a 180 grit flapwheel for the bench grinder on its way that I'm going to use to get all of the scratches going the same direction; then I'll wirebrush to burnish the surfaces ;) Maybe darken them up in a bit of acid :D

I'm firing up the forge sometime toward the end of this week or start of next, when I do I'll start another from scratch and take some piccies as I go, just so that folks (such as you Red ;) ) can see how it's done :) That way you'll see why I take axes to the grinder :(

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Just had a thought. To whet the apatite, here is the page relating to my annual axemaking course. It's got a step by step gallery of the process, though its missing bits on account of me not taking the pictures :rolleyes: Hopefully I'll get some more this year and update it a bit :)

It the case of these group courses we use my iron age or saxon forges and only hand hammers and a bit of team work :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE