Winter is coming.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Being as I’m a boat hobo who now live on the river, I make sure I have plenty of tallow candles & wool clothing, including thick wool boot slippers for when the floods come.
Half a ton off wood just in case the coal runs out., I usually burn coal for simplicity.
Frozen ready meals & a few boxes off T- bags(I’m English & can’t function without my tea)
Waders are beneficial too.
It’s just something I do without really thinking about it?

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Being as I’m a boat hobo who now live on the river, I make sure I have plenty of tallow candles & wool clothing, including thick wool boot slippers for when the floods come.
Half a ton off wood just in case the coal runs out., I usually burn coal for simplicity.
Frozen ready meals & a few boxes off T- bags(I’m English & can’t function without my tea)

Would I be right in thinking that the main fire is the only available heat source and is centrally located on the boat?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Interesting way of life.... May I ask how you came to be living on a boat? I have a whimsical thought about boat life every time I drive past them moored up on the river.....

What about living costs? Do I need a license? How do I find a mooring place? Internet? Oh the questions.........

What a beautiful way to live though.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Interesting way of life.... May I ask how you came to be living on a boat? I have a whimsical thought about boat life every time I drive past them moored up on the river.....

What about living costs? Do I need a license? How do I find a mooring place? Internet? Oh the questions.........

What a beautiful way to live though.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I'd also be interested in a Boating 101

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Come the cooler weather I'm wondering when my mini-dragons (common lizards to some) will start hibernating and if there's anything I can do to help apart from leaving lots of rocks and undergrowth for them.

In the house I need to sweep the chimney and service the wood burner. And cover the seasoned wood stacks outside.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, you're right and it doesn't smell of Autumn yet, but it's colder. We put the heating on this morning, and I'm sitting with a quilt over my lap just now.
The boiler gets serviced at the end of the month.

Everything else is just the seasonal round.

Winter means changing out the duvets to heavier ones, airing the extra quilts and having them handy. Putting up the heavy curtains at the doors. Putting down the long door mats for wet/muddy feet coming in.
Bringing down the Winter jackets and coats and swapping them out for the lightweight ones, making sure everyone's got decent gloves and hats before they're needed.
I still have to wash and re-proof four jackets for my husband and Son2. I've done the rest and the over trousers.
Put away my Summer clothing and bring out the woollens :)

Pantry is stuffed since it's been a bumper year for crops, so now it's just really buying Christmas presents and baking the cake and topping it up with brandy every week. My homemade mincemeat is maturing nicely :D
My store cupboards are pretty full too. I think lockdown showed me what we actually use, and I've kept a stock just in case.
I bought a pack of masks and more handgel, etc., and stashed them away.
The Scottish Govt says that they have concerns about the new variant and have brought forward the dates for vaccinations, so, we'll be aware, and careful and 'just in case', well I'm ready.

I have fuel and lights etc., should there be any power outages but they're really rare here, so that's not something desperately important, we have enough, just in case.

The garden needs a lot of work in the next couple of months though; plants to be lifted, dried, and stored away, shrubs and trees cut back, drainage cleared because we get a lot of rain and I'd rather it flowed out into the burn and didn't hang about the garden.
We need to put away the garden furniture, parasols, etc., too.
Pressure wash the paths.

Just a lot of 'stuff' to be done.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I like all seasons, but what I bemoan is how fast the year flies past these days :(

To any youngsters out there, time accelerates as you get older; enjoy today!
Midlife in terms of perception of time was calculated by psychologists once. It was mid to late 20s! Scary thought as a 50 year old!

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've had a boiler down since end of July! Difficult getting a local plumber and it's gone down for a similar thing now twice. We've decided we need a new boiler before it gets cold. We're going for new, high efficiency radiators too. However getting plumbers in to cost the job is a pain round here. Most simply aren't interested.

Looking at getting a third quote then we'll decide. The current favourite is a 3 week lead time. I hope it doesn't get colder in the next month or I'll have to put a thicker fleece on in the evening, perhaps even put my shorts away until next year! That is a sign of winter for me. A sign of a very, very cold winter is my son changing from shorts to trousers! Most years he's shorts right through.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No, you're right and it doesn't smell of Autumn yet, but it's colder. We put the heating on this morning, and I'm sitting with a quilt over my lap just now.
The boiler gets serviced at the end of the month.

Everything else is just the seasonal round.

Winter means changing out the duvets to heavier ones, airing the extra quilts and having them handy. Putting up the heavy curtains at the doors. Putting down the long door mats for wet/muddy feet coming in.
Bringing down the Winter jackets and coats and swapping them out for the lightweight ones, making sure everyone's got decent gloves and hats before they're needed.
I still have to wash and re-proof four jackets for my husband and Son2. I've done the rest and the over trousers.
Put away my Summer clothing and bring out the woollens :)

Pantry is stuffed since it's been a bumper year for crops, so now it's just really buying Christmas presents and baking the cake and topping it up with brandy every week. My homemade mincemeat is maturing nicely :D
My store cupboards are pretty full too. I think lockdown showed me what we actually use, and I've kept a stock just in case.
I bought a pack of masks and more handgel, etc., and stashed them away.
The Scottish Govt says that they have concerns about the new variant and have brought forward the dates for vaccinations, so, we'll be aware, and careful and 'just in case', well I'm ready.

I have fuel and lights etc., should there be any power outages but they're really rare here, so that's not something desperately important, we have enough, just in case.

The garden needs a lot of work in the next couple of months though; plants to be lifted, dried, and stored away, shrubs and trees cut back, drainage cleared because we get a lot of rain and I'd rather it flowed out into the burn and didn't hang about the garden.
We need to put away the garden furniture, parasols, etc., too.
Pressure wash the paths.

Just a lot of 'stuff' to be done.

Recipe please Toddy.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Midlife in terms of perception of time was calculated by psychologists once. It was mid to late 20s! Scary thought as a 50 year old!
Add twenty years and you'll notice that just yesterday the last snow melted. and chaffinches arrived. :)

This morning it felt like autumn for the first time this year, cool and leaves are noticeably turning yellow.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE