Windy Tarps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Looks like my planned trip this weekend is going to be a windy one, with forecasts of 29Mph winds.

With this in mind, and as a relative beginner to tarp camping, can anyone anyone advise on how best to pitch a tarp for windy conditions?

Thanks

J

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I tie a bowline at the static end of my ridge line, then a trucker's hitch to tension it at the other end.
An evenk hitch is quicker but I would trust a bowline more in high winds.

A prussic loop at each end of my tarp, around the ridge line to pull it tight along the top.

If your tarp is wide enough it would probably be best to peg it right to the ground with some nice big pegs, and as Shewie said keep it as low as is practical.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Yes an A-Frame, that's all I know how to do.
With that I would put it almost totally sideways to the prevailing wind but not completely, a bit of a through draft is necessary to stop your breath condensing on the inside of the tarp, not a huge problem but it's just nicer not to feel cold and damp if you happen to brush up against it which you are likely to do if you have it set low.
I don't know where you're going but I would get there early, as most of the time finding two nicely spaced trees with a bit of flat ground in between dictates the direction and location of your tarp set up, so you might want to have a good look around before setting up.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Looks like my planned trip this weekend is going to be a windy one, with forecasts of 29Mph winds.

With this in mind, and as a relative beginner to tarp camping, can anyone anyone advise on how best to pitch a tarp for windy conditions?
J

Low, in as sheltered position as you can find, between two strong trees that hopefully will move together.(It's a strange feeling when the hammock keeps going slacker then tighter)

And most importantly. Not below/near anything that is going to fall & kill/injure you.

A nice thick coniferous plantation on the lee side of a hill would be my pick.

Enjoy :)¡

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Make yourself some wooden stakes when you get too were your pitching.make em a good 14 inches long n drive em into ground fert tie your guylines too.nowt worse than waking upto a flapping tarp in the night could be dangerous if one tries Wip you in face.not so bad if you get lucky n it gets yer on backside

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Diamond fly or like this

Wayland_Shelter-2.jpg

With back to the wind.

Preferably with some sort of windbreak as well.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
We had gusts of 90mph here Tuesday and Wednesday with a 50mph mean, people being blown off their feet, into harbours and off ships into the sea etc, 110mph gusts on the hills. Similar last weekend and it was a little breezier again last week. Forecast is for 50-60mph gusts this afternoon, at risk of sounding like a spoil sport I'd say; it's not tarp weather, round here at any rate :rolleyes:

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
and as a relative beginner to tarp camping

it's not tarp weather, round here at any rate

I'd tend to agree. With the sorts of wind we're seeing in these parts, you'd need to be pretty sure you'd worked all the bugs out of the system. I know I made a lot of mistakes with tarps in the early days, and trashed a couple of nice lightweight tarps by having uneven tension and leaving edges flapping.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Not entirely shrafty but i'm a fan of bungees in high winds as they take the shock out of the flapping for the tarp. I have had loops split in severe weather before and only a few attachment points with bungees is tarp-saver.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Probably obvious, but plan for the worst. Set up camp as early as you can so you can see what you are doing. Try and find a long enough branch to tug at anything above you that looks remotely dead. If in doubt move to another location.

Use a bivvy bag so if the tarp does break loose you can stash it and can still stay dry over night. It gets bloody cold around 3am. Think about your gear staying dry too. Keep the head torch nearby. As said bungees.

I am all for people getting out there, but realistically with little experience (keep an eye on the weather it may change for the better) I would miss a very windy weekend and wait a little till you are happy with your equipment and setup.

Enjoy anyway. Earplugs might help :)

And there is nothing wrong with trying out your gear in a back garden somewhere, I have done it many a time with new kit and there is no better way to learn than by doing.

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Assuming you are staying somewhere in Kent, Something else to consider is the ground being extremely wet. I went for a wander today and after last weeks flood warnings the ground locally is absolutely sodden where generally it isn't, so It might be worth doing a recce on the area you intend to use so you know what you are up against.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Looking at the forecast, and the condition of the ground when I cycled to work, I am very much leaning towards postponing this trip.

Thank you everyone for the help and advice, will come in useful in future.

I think when conditions improve I'm gonna need to go out and spend afternoon pitching the tarp in various ways.

Thanks

J

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Nothing stopping you doing a day trip and practice setting up without commiting to an overnighter. I quite like a bit of a challenge against the elements.

once you have setup, packed away and re setup somewhere else you soon learn what bit of kit is best where.

Great feeling being setup, sitting back relaxing with a hot brew.
Go for it.

Last edited:

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
+1 to what he said.

Even say a lunch out In the woods, is better than no woods at all. It all builds confidence and experience.

Trying to rig a tent when it's blowing a hoolie really makes you focus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE