Win a copy of Tristan Gooley's New Book - How To Read Trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Please vote on which entry should win the Book!

• post 2 gra-farmer - Willow tree

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • post 4 nice65 - Queen Elizabeth Oak

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • post 6 Broch - Little Sessile Oak

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • post 7 Buckshot - Quince tree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • post 18 Wayne - Symbol of the Bushmoot

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Tristan Gooley the world-famous author of natural navigation books has just released his new book How to Read Trees.

We have a competition for you to win a copy of this new book, which I have in my hand from the publisher for this competition...

IMG_2526.JPG

To enter this competition we'd like to see your best Tree picture and have a little description as to why it's significant to you...
I know that's a bit open-ended but that allows for a variety of trees and thoughts behind choosing yours.

So.
TO ENTER - HOW TO READ A TREE - COMPETITION
1. Your best tree picture
2. Paragraph on why that tree has significance/is a great tree to you

This will close May 18th

Post your photo's and thoughts into this thread :beerchug: Simples!

View attachment Tristan Gooley - How To Read a Tree.mp4

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
279b9d28ed8544f6289cf657e3805a04.jpg

This humble willow tree, planted nearly 100 years ago by my great grandfather for medicinal purposes, has brought joy and laughter to three generations of children, survived two hurricanes, and the explosion of one doodlebug. Although not as pretty as it once was, covered in nettles, laying on its side, it is now a refuge for wildlife, a symbol of joy, simple elegance, resistance and strength to us.

Unable to attach high res photo via BCUK forum???

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
This one I’ve known for a while, but it’s come to signify a man I know who’s finally dying from the stomach cancer he was supposed to die of years ago but overcame. The blood plasma of this bloke was discovered to be so rare it was able to be used to save the lives of new born babies who otherwise would have died, and it’s reckoned his 400 pints saved 20,000-40,000 kids. Rain or shine, Frank would get himself to the clinic.

Proud and hardy, the Queen Elizabeth Oak in Cowdray Park.

No ‘Attach Files’ option on my message box though so I’ll have to see if I can get Photobucket working. I see Gra had the same problem, which might explain the lack of posts.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am a certified tree-hugger. I like all trees, especially the irreplaceable old, veteran, and ancient trees. They have such dignity and presence.

And yet, I have chosen this insignificant little Sessile Oak sapling as my tree. It represents hope and potential; it stands as a statement of the future, of different attitudes and priorities; and it lifts my soul to see its brave and determined push for life.

This little tree is one of the very first self-seeded oaks on the edge of our wood for over one hundred years. The wood has been grazed by sheep for that long, and probably longer, and no oak seedlings have survived the grazing onslaught. This is the first year that any sapling has had a chance to establish itself and it’s a new beginning for the wood as the sheep are excluded. New life, new opportunity for the vast range of species this little oak will one day harbour, and new hope for a small woodland in Mid-Wales.

oak-sapling-jpg.80177

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I have his other books and this would be nice too.
This is our Quince tree.
It has lived in the back garden for many years.
The flowers are beautiful and the fruit makes a very good jam.
We got it after I collected some Quince pears from the woods I used to be a 'keeper on and made some 'Jelly Jam'. It was such a success we bought a tree!
Being in the back garden it is always there when I feel stressed or disconnected and in need of some woodland time.
Rowen tree by Mark Aspell, on Flickr

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Sorry for the issue uploading images to the thread, I think I've solved that issue now. Could one of you try again, please :beerchug:

I will extend this competition as well until next Wednesday 24th May to make sure everyone has their chance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE