Wildlife pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
One of the hedges at my parents' place was laid over the winter and I had to move some bird boxes. I hung them up in my greenhouse until I could find a new place for them but forgot about them. Yesterday I went to water the plants and a wren flew out of this box sounding very angry at me. Looking inside I can just see a few yellow beaks poking up.

I've done some research and it looks like they'll be there for about 3 weeks so I'm knackered for getting my tomatoes planted until they fledge. I'll also have to fit some shading to the roof before the weather gets too hot or they'll bake in there. :( I've opened all the doors and windows for now though to keep the air flowing through. The parent is doing a great job of keeping the greenhouse clear of bugs though so there's always a bright side.

05.23.17%20wren%20nest%20in%20work%20greenhouse_zpscgntevf1.jpg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Some shots from my recent Macro Safari's

Here is a damsel fly eating a crane fly

Damsel fly eating 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Damsel fly eating 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I did not see the insects in this shot but the curled leaf peaked my interest so I took a shot and thought I will check that out later.An ID would be nice.

Nest in curled up oak leaf by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I suspect this is a digger wasp but I am unsure. This was a tough shot to get and not the best really.

Wasp by Alf Branch, on Flickr

There are two spiders one of which is on a yellow dung fly. Can you predict what happened next. I took more shots but did not wait too long. I need to process the other shots.

Two spiders by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here is a sawfly on a blossom

Sawfly on blossom by Alf Branch, on Flickr

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
In a continuation of the two spiders above. The top one came down and they seemed to set out to eat together which I suspect is very unlikely.

Two spiders 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Two spiders 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Then in this shot it looks like mating is being or has been attempted. Unfortunately due to the difficulty of these two spinning on a thread and time shortage I moved on. So I do not know how this ended.

Two spiders 4 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria

woodsa

Sep 30, 2016
Devon
Amazing shot! Was this taken using a trap camera or remote? beautifully caught!

Hi All, as someone was talking about photographing foxes, here's one of mine:

32727366675_f0037b8d25_z.jpg

Note that this is a captive animal of course, not a wild one, at the Surrey Wildlife Centre - a wonderful place to visit (no connection, just a happy visitor).

Cheers, Bob

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Amazing shot! Was this taken using a trap camera or remote? beautifully caught!

Thanks :). Note that it is a 'captive' animal shot as noted.

No special stuff needed. It was taken sitting down with a hand held digital SLR, on a photo day, when you can get very much closer, or in with the animals. My tip is to always move away from the main group of shutterbugs, and sit quietly and comfortably on your own. No need to be completely motionless, but avoid sudden movements. And then snap away without 'chimping' - check your results later so you dont mss that ideal shot.

Cheers, Bob

woodsa

Sep 30, 2016
Devon
I didn't see the info at the bottom of the photo (viewing on an iPhone). Still, captured a great expression. Looking through some of these has inspired me to try and get out shoot more. A 9 month old has meant that dawn strolls with the camera has been put on hold for a while. I'll try and post some of my garden macro stuff though.
Thanks

QUOTE=bobnewboy;1817885]Thanks :). Note that it is a 'captive' animal shot as noted.

No special stuff needed. It was taken sitting down with a hand held digital SLR, on a photo day, when you can get very much closer, or in with the animals. My tip is to always move away from the main group of shutterbugs, and sit quietly and comfortably on your own. No need to be completely motionless, but avoid sudden movements. And then snap away without 'chimping' - check your results later so you dont mss that ideal shot.

Cheers, Bob[/QUOTE]

woodsa

Sep 30, 2016
Devon
Not technically outside, however I found this little guy flat against my conservatory wall. I believe it's a Pholcus phalangioides due to it's skull like face; a part of the cellular spider family.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE